Cloudy after 2 weeks in primary - thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, I did search and couldn't find my answer. Most posts deal with people freaking out in the first few days. It's been two weeks for me...

I brewed 10 gallons of a Belgian-style Tripel using Pilsner malt, Red Wheat, Some Aromatic malt and table sugar (in the boil). I split the cooled wort into 2 carboys and pitched Wyeast 3787 Trappist High gravity yeast. I was lazy and did a direct pitch. I also used irish moss in the boil as a clarifier.

Anyway, it's 2 weeks later and one carboy has clarified nicely. However, the other one is extremely hazy.

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I have an infection... Should I just rack into a new carboy and let it run its course? Will it eventually clarify? I'm pulling samples for gravity readings and sampling tomorrow. I guess I'll have more then...

It'll probably clarify, it either is fermenting a bit slower and thus has more yeast in suspension, or it took on more particulate from the boiled wort than the other carboy and is taking more time to settle out. Do taste both just to be sure they are equal, but I wouldn't worry. 2 weeks isn't really a long time anyway...

Back