Closed transfer from airlock hole on bucket fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close but my buckets do not have a spigot because I had an accident and don't trust them. I would love to transfer via the airlock hole in the lid.

It's possible, but you definitely would need a 2nd hole in the lid to supply CO2 to the headspace as beer is siphoned out through the top, or you'd create under-pressure making the siphon stall, within seconds.

I often transfer in a similar way, but it's quite difficult to do that without being "prepared" for it.

It's possible, but you definitely would need a 2nd hole in the lid to supply CO2 to the headspace as beer is siphoned out through the top, or you'd create under-pressure making the siphon stall, within seconds.

I often transfer in a similar way, but it's quite difficult to do that without being "prepared" for it.
I would love to see a picture of your setup.

Anyone have this kind of setup? Would love to be able to transfer a lager without exposing it to oxygen.
I've been considering it. I think you would need a second hole as IslandLizard mentions. I was thinking a simple push to connect (PTC) bulkhead would be cheap. I have converted my gas lines to Evabarrier and PTC fittings so I could easily attach the gas line to the bulkhead and then use a racking cane in the airlock hole. From there I would probably use 3/8" ID tubing to a flare fitting on the ball lock quick disconnect. I have a carboy cap that I can closed transfer with that follows that design off the racking cane. The cap itself is a little more complicated than what I described (but could be more simply done than it is).

Close but my buckets do not have a spigot because I had an accident and don't trust them. I would love to transfer via the airlock hole in the lid.
Setting up a closed loop gravity transfer with a spigot is a piece of cake. Doing what you want to do is, well, not a piece of cake. Are you talking about basic plastic buckets?

You can't use any pressure in a bucket. You can do a closed transfer, just not a pressure transfer. You didn't mention what you were transferring to. Keg?

Your lid would need two grommets. One gets a racking cane for the beer out and the other one is CO2 return from the keg gas port. The transfer has to be done via siphon so you have to get the beer flowing before you connect it to the keg beer port. The inflowing beer pressurizes the CO2 in the keg and forces it up to the headspace of the bucket.

Setting up a closed loop gravity transfer with a spigot is a piece of cake. Doing what you want to do is, well, not a piece of cake. Are you talking about basic plastic buckets?
Yea, they are brew buckets without a spigot. If I used a transfer pump do you still think I would need a second hole in the lid?

You can't use any pressure in a bucket. You can do a closed transfer, just not a pressure transfer. You didn't mention what you were transferring to. Keg?

Your lid would need two grommets. One gets a racking cane for the beer out and the other one is CO2 return from the keg gas port. The transfer has to be done via siphon so you have to get the beer flowing before you connect it to the keg beer port. The inflowing beer pressurizes the CO2 in the keg and forces it up to the headspace of the bucket.

Yes to a keg.

Yes to a keg.

What I do, when using my none pressure-rated plastic FVs, which are only accessible from the top once in my keezer, is use a floating dip tube and a low pressure (<2 psi) secondary regulator. Obviously, it requires a couple keg post bulkhead type fittings on the FV lid.

If I used a transfer pump do you still think I would need a second hole in the lid?
You still need two holes in the lid. The beer you siphon out has to be replaced with CO2 (either from a tank or via a return line from the purged keg) or something bad will happen. Either the bucket will implode (unlikely), or air will leak in somewhere (more likely), or the flow will stop (most likely?).

Back