Clone brew book question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcamp21

Reaction score
Pretty simple question. Just wanting dome confirmation before diving. As I am no where close to experienced, but with a dozen all grains under the belt I am comfortable.

The clone brews book 200 commercial beers sets all reciepes with DME for the base instructions. However each recipe does have an all grain method.

Question: for a oak pale ale it follows. Steep brit crystal malt and torrified wheat. Sparge dme and bittering hops. Etc.... Under all grain it adjusts to mash 2-row with SPECIALTY GRAINS etc...

Are the specialty grains for this example the brit crystal malt and torrified wheat?

Lame question I know. But in some of the clones what i am guessing are listed as specialties I would consider base.

YUP.

Just about all extract to all grain recipe conversions are only talking about the base malt equivalent UNLESS explicitly stated. Base malts you're using at 80%+ ratio. So DME/LME -> Some kind of 2 two row malt, generally. Also, "steeping grains" become part of the full mash.

Have fun!

Back