Clone Batch! HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeford337

Reaction score
So the other day I had an AMAZING taste of a Danish import mead called Gl. Dansk Mjød. It was so amazing, and made me realize iv'e been playing the mead game all wrong! And, instead of buying it, because that's too easy, I wanna make it :rockin: So if anyone has tried it, can give me pointers, and what not, I'd love to hear it. Hints of ginger, a bit on the dry side, and a beautiful hoppy aroma, with an amazing honey taste. I believe it runs on brewer's yeast, but if i'm not mistaken, there are many different types of that. :confused: Thanks in advance for any help you might bring!

Also, a link to an online store that sells it: http://www.wineanthology.com/p-9804-dansk-mjod-gi-dansk-mjod.aspx

P.S. If this would be too difficult, I'd be up to make a clone batch of Dansk Vikingernes Mjød also.

Link: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dansk-mjod-vikingernes-mjod/14355/

I haven't tasted this one to help you out. I see ginger and hops are there and it's 19%. Was it sweet or dry? Did you take a gravity reading to get the FG? Please give any details or level of ginger spicyness. Also, was it bittering hops or aroma hops. What was the hop characteristic? Earthy, spicy, grapefruit, citrus?

If it uses brewers yeast, then I would suggest a Bray's One Month Mead (BOMM) with a slow step feed at the end to hit the 19%. This recipe also has the advantage of being ready fast so if the recipe is a bit off, you can adjust and try again quickly.

Better brewing through science!

Upon doing some research, Dansk uses Heather honey. Good luck on finding or affording that.

Most posts claim this is a sweet mead, but the sweetness is well hidden by the spices and alcohol.

Apparently the hops are spicy. Likely Saaz hops. Not too bitter so likely in the 10 IBU range.

Ginger can be a full range of doses, but be sure to leave the skin on as that is where a lot of flavor is.

Hope that helps!

Better brewing through science!

Thank you so much! As soon as I can get my hands on some more I will update this and try to make it myself!

Further to Brays post. Heather honey can vary widely, not only from it's location provenance but also from the type of heather that the nectar is collected from.

Heather honey is expensive enough here (and locally I can only get "English" heather honey). Sources for Scottish heather honey seem scarce, and the little I have seen is quite expensive.........

Where you are, I don't know.......

Maybe some google searching might give you a clue as to the types of heather that the nectar comes from in Denmark........

Back