Clearing Wine w/ Chitosan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platinumforests

Reaction score
Hi, all! So, after waiting a month for my Gewurztraminer to clear, I decided to keel to impatience and add some chitosan to it to see if it would clear without adding the other component that it reacts with, bcuz I only had chitosan on hand. It's now been 3 days and it's cloudier than ever. What can I add now to get this chitosan to fall to the bottom? Must I add that other agent or can I buy Isinglass, and the ig will take this new chitosan and the previously floating crud to the bottom?

I'm not sure if this is complicating matters, but I whipped the wine with a plastic wine gadget on a powr drill, and the bastard fell off into the wine part way thru. Needless to say it's still in there, because I have to wait til I bottle to fish it out. I can't think that this is preventing it from clearing, but I could be wrong.

Help?

My Spagnols kit used Kieselsol and Chitosan, in that order. They work by negative & positive charges. I think you really need to do it in the right order. I am no expert in wine at all but if it was my wine I would look at filtering rather than adding more stuff to the wine.

Hopefully an expert will drop in and give you a simple solution.

You really need to use BOTH, or it doesn't work.

Go get the other component and add it now...it'll probably still work.

i'VE BEEN TOLD THAT AFTER ADDING THE 2, YOU MUST WAIT ABOUT 1 WK. FOR WHITE WINE AND AT LEAST 2 WEEKS FOR RED WINE, FOR IT TO SETTLE COMPLETELY.

I decided to keel to impatience and add some chitosan to it to see if it would clear without adding the other component that it reacts with, bcuz I only had chitosan on hand. It's now been 3 days and it's cloudier than ever.

Yes, you must use both, and in the proper order. I would suggest getting some Kiesesol and adding it. Make sure to stir to mix them together....

Oh wait...

I'm not sure if this is complicating matters, but I whipped the wine with a plastic wine gadget on a powr drill, and the bastard fell off into the wine part way thru.

Help?

Lol.

I'm laughing WITH you not AT you BTW. This will make a great story to tell when drinking this wine later!

That having been said, definitly fish the degasser rod out and mix in some Kiesesol. ;-)

Back