Clearing S.P. without Degassing- Is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telefunken

Reaction score
I've searched the forum, and found little bits of info on this but have found no definitive answer. In general terms, is it possible to clear a wine without degassing?

Specifically, I like my Skeeter Pee fizzy. I keg it and hook it up to some CO2. My batches have proven hard to clear, even after degassing and adding sparkolloid. It seems a bit of a waste to have to degas my pee, clear it, and then force carbonate it again. I would prefer to keep it fizzy and find a way to clear it.

I know that filtering would probably work, but I've read that this can remove flavors, and it's an extra step that I'd like to avoid. From my experience with wine kits, it seems that kieselsol and chitosan are supposed to be used on degassed wines, so that doesn't seem like the right product.

I'm considering gelatin, but I've never used this before and have no experience with it. What are your thoughts? Has anyone had success clearing a carbonated wine?

what's the problem with degassing? it's so easy... kiel+chit worked very well for my sp after a few short rounds of stirring to degas, painless.

Back