Clearing beer with geletin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lms94

Reaction score
Guys,

I've currently got an IPA brewing and I've read a few posts regarding geletin to clear the beer.

My question is, when my FG is consistent and fermentation has complete, should I add 1 tsp of plain geletin to 1 cup of boiled and cooked water and leave for 48 hours and then add dextrose and bottle?

I understand it will take a little longer to, I tend I leave my bottles to condition for 2-3 weeks anyway.

I appreciate any help in advance!

Cold crash, geletin, bottle condition at room temp?

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Here is a link to Brülosophy's Gelatin vs Irish moss exBeerament.

His process for fining with Geletin is in the article. But I have added a brief synopsis here.

1) Cold crash beer until it is below 50°F. I turned my regulator down one night and it was at 45°F the next morning.

2) Make gelatin solution, combining 1/2 tsp Knox Unflavored Gelatin with 1/4 cup cool water.

3) Microwave it in short (7 second) bursts until it reached 145-150°F, stirring with the end of a thermometer between each burst.

4) Add gelatin solution to primary (hot)

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Here is a link to Brülosophy's Gelatin vs Irish moss exBeerament.

His process for fining with Geletin is in the article. But I have added a brief synopsis here.

1) Cold crash beer until it is below 50°F. I turned my regulator down one night and it was at 45°F the next morning.

2) Make gelatin solution, combining 1/2 tsp Knox Unflavored Gelatin with 1/4 cup cool water.

3) Microwave it in short (7 second) bursts until it reached 145-150°F, stirring with the end of a thermometer between each burst.

4) Add gelatin solution to primary (hot)

This is the method I followed with my first gelatin fining. That beer is still bottle conditioning, so I don't have any confirmed results, but I can see that the beer in the bottles already looks clearer than past batches. The batch in the fermenter now is following their complete ale fermentation schedule since it'll be the first batch where I have temperature control from start to finish. I'm quite interested in how that one is going to turn out.

I've used the method outlined on Brulosophy a couple of times and my beer was noticeably clearer as a result. I have a lager that I will be cold crashing and fining with gelatin this weekend. I'm combining the gelatin method with the quick lager method Brulosopher has wrote about.

Gelatin works well. Clear in a week and the green flavors go away. Tip: dry hop after gelatin and possibly in a different fermenter or keg. My experience the dry hops aroma get lost if you don't.

Back