Cleared cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivalry15

Reaction score
I'm curious about fermentation times. Everything I have read says cider ferments slower than beer. I have made several batches with white labs yeast and each one finishes up in under 2 weeks. It also clears quickly too. Is it normal for cider to clear that fast? I use orchard fresh cider with pectic enzyme.
This is my whiskey barrel cider just racked into secondary after 12 days.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452405950.687692.jpg

Yes depending on the yeast you can have some things fermented in about 7 days (from my readings). That looks super clear. Did you sample any? Add anything to the secondary? Are you gonna bottle carb?

I'm curious about fermentation times. Everything I have read says cider ferments slower than beer. I have made several batches with white labs yeast and each one finishes up in under 2 weeks. It also clears quickly too. Is it normal for cider to clear that fast? I use orchard fresh cider with pectic enzyme.
This is my whiskey barrel cider just racked into secondary after 12 days.View attachment 328990

Looks good, be thankful, if you like clear cider that is, I made some cider in October with Brewers best cider yeast, it smells of apples, with a taste I enjoy, but taking a very long time to clear, even with keeping it cold. This is an exercise in patience! BTW, the acctual fermentation time was around a week, and pectic enzyme was used, as per directions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 80
Thanks guys, I plan to age it in the gallon carboy for a bit and then lightly carb in the bottle. It really fermented and cleared quick. I have not taken a gravity sample yet though.

I used wlp002 and racked it onto a bourbon soaked American oak spiral and a vanilla bean. Time will tell if it's good or a bust

Back