cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybmx10

Reaction score
i was wondering if i could just use oxyclean to clean out my keg and fermentors because the guy at my lhbs sells pink stuff that is good for one keg nd i can do my bottles and fermentors all 4 of them and then its done, i thought it was a bit 10$ was a bit expensive for what i was getting?

Yup, oxyclean free. I just seem to believe that if you leave something soaking too long in that it will develop some kind of weird film so don't let things sit around in that. I only know based on threads I see here. I've never done it.

Scent-free Oxyclean is called Oxy Free. I use it all the time to clean my kegs and carboys. Works great. I usually can find it at my local Target.

I do not measure really. I use about a TBS to a few gallons to remove gunk and labels from bottles. I use PBW for my kegs and carboys. $21 for 4 pounds at the LHBS. It isn't as cheap as oxy free but I like the stuff.

I use a knock off of oxyclean free. I add 1 scoop to the carboy and fill with water, let it sit for a day, and most of the stuff is dissolved away. The rest comes of with light scrubbing. Don't let it sit for more than a day or two or else it will leave residue and you'll have to rinse it out with vinegar or CLR.

I don't know if they have dollar tree where you live but i use their version
156846.jpg

Some of it is scented some isn't but you can unscrew the lid and look and if it is totally white it's unscented... they don't label scented or unscented but it's easy to tell the difference and they usually have both on the shelf at the same time... if it has blue specks, is orange, or some other weird color it is scented but if it's white you're good.... yeah you may have to unscrew a couple lids but you can't beat $1 a jar!

See this article, as a for instance; Da Mighty Google can point you in many directions for others. Having read many such things, I mix Oxy Free (or Sun Free from Dollar store) with Ace Hardware's TSP/90 (very specific) 2:1 and that is said to be close to PBW, without the chelating agents. Most people will tell you Oxy Free by itself, 1Tbs/gal, very warm water, will do most if not all of what you want. Bottles, buckets, brew kettles & carboys--they all come clean, they all need a good 3-4 rinses with very warm water (hot water + carboy = danger, Will Robinson).

That's why I always get the right tools for the job-PBW & Starsan. One good rinse & PBW,dirt & all come off. Starsan being a wet,no rinse sanitizer that doesn't stain is a definite plus. PBW takes 1.5ozs per gallon of water To clean virtually anything.:mug:

Another easy vote for oxyclean. I eyeball whatever i think is needed, add some warm water and shake it up.

Latest posts

Back