Cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what I am cleaning is my new Anvil brew kettle, I have the new stainless quick disconnects, the valve thermometer, and then my Anvil 7.5 that sat with Brewer in it for months it got forgotten when taking care of my grandmother. I just washed it out with a pad and warm water and I am wondering what I should do now? I have PBW and Star San cameo aluminum and stainless steel cleaner, good old fashion Dawn dish soap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 28
I'd start with a hot PBW soak and then an elbow grease powered dish cloth.

Star San is not a cleaner.

Is that crud or just a stain? If it's a stain, I wouldn't worry about it. If there is actual crud, it should come off with a scrubber sponge, hot water, and some elbow grease. A soak with PBW would loosen it up if you need it.

So am I putting the ball valve back together and sticking it in the fermenter and letting it soak? How long?

I usually soak for a half hour or so. But I assume by your post that there's some tougher crud there. So maybe overnight?

Yes name that’s actually what a kind of looks like couldn’t tell if you could see the ring in the picture. I just was not sure if the PVW was safe for rubber O-rings and the nylon parts in a ball valve. Now my new equipment I’m assuming just a quick wash and then sterilize it before it gets used with the star san?

Yes name that’s actually what a kind of looks like couldn’t tell if you could see the ring in the picture. I just was not sure if the PVW was safe for rubber O-rings and the nylon parts in a ball valve.

PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) was developed to be safe for brewery materials, including stainless, rubber, and nylon.

Latest posts

Back