Cleaning Krausen off Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
I have having a hard time cleaning the krausen off of a better bottle that I fermented a Dunkel Hefeweizen in.
I have soaked in PBW but it still won't come off. I am afraid of using a carboy brush to clean it but I don't know how to get it off.

Any tips or tricks?

unscented oxyclean and let it soak.

We had an old container of it sitting around and I tryed it. Works really well. I still have PBW, but I keep going back to the Oxyclean (maybe becasue my wife buys it with groceries, not from the brewing fund!).

unscented oxyclean and let it soak.

We had an old container of it sitting around and I tryed it. Works really well. I still have PBW, but I keep going back to the Oxyclean (maybe becasue my wife buys it with groceries, not from the brewing fund!).

Soak in OxyClean. I have never had that not work and have never had to scrub the inside of a carboy.

I soak all my gear in oxyclean and hot water...the fizzy action tends to just lift any gunk off of it, even in the tightest places. THen I rinse throroughly using a jet bottle/carboy washer.

Rb28.jpg

Nothing gets left behind with that combination.

I use a slurry made from baking soda and water. I then throw a handful of rice in and shake around. never had a problem, and never have gotten scratches on my plastic. I learned this trick off a homebrewing club's website.

^^^^^
+1 to Chef/Papers I haven't scrubbed a carboy since purchasing Oxyclean (unsented).

I bought a bunch of gear fro a guy that had not touched in 5 yrs +. The two Carboys had beer in then that evaporate, yea all 5 1/2 gallons. Filled them up with water add 1/4 cup Oxyclean and in the morning they were spotless. The gunk (technical term) had all released from the sides and bottom, rose to the top and pushed out by the foam. Truly amazing, I wish I would have taken before/after pictures.

I used the washcloth trick a couple of times until I tried oxiclean. I use a cap from a water bottle and mix about 1.5 gallons water and a couple teaspoons or so unscented oxiclean. Then I invert the bottle in a bucket to keep it upright and the oxiclean just melts th krausen ring away in a day or two with zero effort. Works every time.

It's just as effective to dump a scoop of oxyclean into the carboy and fill it to the top with hot water. The oxyclean does its trick on all of the surfaces of the carboy that way, rather than just the visible krausen ring. I just top up the water each time I walk by the carboy in the sink, and that keeps the oxyclean doin' its thing.

Make sure not to use boiling with the Oxi-clean or else you'll end up with a deflated and wrinkly BB like me :(

Back