Cleaning Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

species8472

Reaction score
So I need some help cleaning out my glass carboy!

I just finished making my first batch... woohoo! (a brown ale). Everything in the carboy washed out real easily with some hot water and a little help from a carboy brush, including the layer of gunk at the bottom. However, the carboy brush provided to me when I bought the carboy doesn't quite reach the bottom! Its like 2 or so inches too short! I made up a mixture of Diversol to sit and soak the bottom (theres little deposits of gunk in the ridges of the glass at the bottom, why they don't make it perfectly smooth beats me), but it didn't disolve and I'm not sure of what to use to do that (if possible).

Attached is a photo of what Im talking about just to make it all clear ;)

Any suggestions? Or perhaps I'm going to have to hit up walmart and search for some kinda brush that will fit through the top and still reach the bottom.

Thanks!!
Rob.

Gunk.jpg

I've heard that some guys work up some suds with soap and a small amount of water and swirl a washcloth around. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like it could work.

Just BE CAREFUL with swirling a glass carboy around! If you break it, you could end up with some nasty injuries!

I would soak in a strong oxidizer. This will make compounds more water soluble. Try PBW or a dilute bleach solution. Let the chemicals do the work. Let it soak for a long time, then hit it with some water pressure. It will come right off.

I'd try soaking over night with Oxy but be careful because the stuff is kinda slippery.

Then blast it with a jet of water from the hose, should come clean

I know it seems pretty stupid to ask, but are you 100% certain that the dirt isn't deposited on the outside of the carboy?

couple inches short on the brush? Look for something to attach the brush to to give you the extra inches. a ruler comes to mind. reverse a stirring spoon and so on....

McGuyver that bad boy!

Back