Clawhammer 240v mash temp issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishorbrew

Reaction score
Anybody out there using the Clawhammer 240v system? I bought the 10g version a few months ago and while I'm generally really pleased with it I'm having trouble maintaining a consistent mash temperature. Emmet at Clawhammer has been really helpful but I still can't get it dialed in nearly as much as I think I should, given other peoples' much better results. If anyone out there has this system or has experienced similar issues then I'm happy to go into more detail. Thanks!

I would ditch the spray nozzle in the lid since spraying wort is one way to get the heat out of it and potentially oxidize the malt. You can also get more temp stability by adding a whirlpool port and splitting your pump output between whirlpool and over the top recirculation.

Thanks, that's interesting. Regarding the spray nozzle, I generally don't worry much about hot side aeration for my ales, but I do think a lot about how much temperature is being lost through the pump and the spray. Even if I was able to maintain a more consistent temp reading from the temperature probe, I assume the top of the mash basket would be at least a degree or two cooler.

I've seen some systems that use something like a whirlpool port during the mash but the port is still above the top of the mash liquid. Is that what you're suggesting, to reduce the spray? Or something that returns below the liquid level?

Thanks!

I understand many people don't think about hot side aeration or they've read something that caused the conclusion that it doesn't matter. Ok fine. I'm just suggesting there's no benefit to the spraying so at best it's causing heat loss. At worst it's causing heat loss and damaging the malt character of the beer.

Regarding the whirlpool; I'm literally talking about a port that you'd install in the kettle sidewall at about the same height as the drain that would cause whirlpool/stirring of the liquid underneath and somewhat besides the basket. Anything on top of the mash I'd consider to be a recirculation port rather than a whirlpool.

I use the 20 gallon 240v ClawHammer... as I prepare water to mash I use the spray. I don't wait to turn on the spray after I add the grain. For me, I get everything dialed in at say 152 with the spray, add the grain... then my temp creeps to 158, falls back down to 152 and then fluctuates 1 degree between 151 and 153. It feels stable to me besides the initial climb. The whirlpool sounds like an interesting idea though.

Latest posts

Back