Clawhammer 240V into a welder plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
I am looking at the Clawhammer Supply 240V system, which is stated on their website as having a 4 prong washer/dryer plug (30 amp GFCI outlet needed). I recently built a house and had the electrician put a 50 amp 3 prong welder outlet in the garage. I did a search trying to find a pigtail adapter, but no luck. Everyone seems to be wanting to plug a welder into a dryer plug, not the other way around.

Does anyone on here have the electrical experience to tell me how to make a pigtail for this, assuming it is possible/safe?

Thanks

You need a 4-prong outlet so that your controller has a neutral which is needed for 120v power (pump). When your welder outlet was put in did they only run 2 hots and a ground, or was a neutral also run but just not wired since they used a 3-prong outlet? If there is a neutral run you can replace the outlet with a 4-prong and use an adapter for your welder.

Just in case your welder plug cable didn't include a neutral, you could probably have the controller rewired to also use a 120VAC plug. That might be much cheaper/easier than pulling new cable to your welder plug.

Some control boxes did and do have 2 power cords, one 240VAC and another 120VAC.

Back