Clarity issues and pumpkin starches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizoune

Reaction score
I’m brewing up a pumpkin beer this weekend. Last year’s batch was quite tasty but never really cleared up, despite a very flocculent S-04 English yeast. The pumpkin was added to the mash and I suspect clarity issues are the result of unconverted starches. The pumpkin was cut up and cooked for 45min in a 350F oven prior to adding them to my MLT.

Any tips on how to get better conversion of pumpkin starches? Mash longer, mash higher? Other ideas.

Thanks,

Biz

I did a decoction mash on mine this year and it is just as clear as any other ale I've made. Maybe a protein rest would help break some of that down.

I did use canned pumpkin so that might also make a difference.

I'm interested in brewing a pumpkin ale but would prefer to try one recommended by others rather than pick one from a book. Does anyone have a recommendation??

I’m brewing up a pumpkin beer this weekend. Last year’s batch was quite tasty but never really cleared up, despite a very flocculent S-04 English yeast. The pumpkin was added to the mash and I suspect clarity issues are the result of unconverted starches. The pumpkin was cut up and cooked for 45min in a 350F oven prior to adding them to my MLT.

Any tips on how to get better conversion of pumpkin starches? Mash longer, mash higher? Other ideas.

Thanks,

Biz

Here's an update on this if anybody cares. I ended up roasting the canned pumpkins in the oven for 45min at 350F. Then, everything went into the mash. I mashed at 153F for about 1h 45 minutes and this seems to have done the job. Wort going into the fermenter was really clear. I should know in a few weeks if mashing longer helped to get clear beer with but I am optimistic.

I just brewed my Pumpkin Lord (Traditional Bock) last Saturday. I used Libbys 100% pure canned pumpkin (60 oz) for an hour and a half at 150 degrees when mashing. Curious to see, specifically being a lager, if I get any starch haze. I doubt it will with a 1.5 hr mash and lagering.

[email protected]

Back