Clarifying in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Those of you who use a clarifier after racking to your keg, what is your experience with the process? I've been trying it the last few runs and it hasn't been entirely consistent for me. I did a lager where you could tell the gelatin helped speed up the initial clarifying resulting in a clear beer sooner. But it still took 3-4 weeks to get to that crystal clear appearance.

Now I've got one I just did that was heavily dry hopped and I think I picked up a bit of trub when racking it so right now it looks almost like a hefe! I added Biofine to this one (first time trying it) so I'm wondering what might be going on, is it possible it worked really well and dropped all that crap to the bottom of the keg so the first few pints I've poured have been all particulate?

How many pints do you find you have to pour off before you get to the clear beer when fining in the keg?

After cold crashing I rack to a keg and add 1tsp gelatin in 1/2 cup of water. The first pour or two are usually cloudy then the rest of the keg is always crystal clear after 2 weeks. I set and forget carb so I wouldn't know if it was cleared before then.

After cold crashing I rack to a keg and add 1tsp gelatin in 1/2 cup of water. The first pour or two are usually cloudy then the rest of the keg is always crystal clear after 2 weeks. I set and forget carb so I wouldn't know if it was cleared before then.

OK it may well be the same thing with the Biofine, just takes time to settle everything out.

I often don't actually fine in the keg (typically irish moss in the kettle and *sometimes* gelatin in the fermenter), but regardless of when/how you fine, you're going to get material in those first pints or two, and then probably dissipate to clear over the next 2-3 pints.

So the biofine will cause anything in suspension to drop and it'll get into those first few pours, yes. After that it should be crystal.

Back