Clarifying cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to Whole Foods and buying a jug of unfiltered organic apple juice, as I have in the past. This is great because it comes in a carboy. I intend to, as I have in the past, turn it into hard cider with one cinnamon stick.

This time around, I'm carbonating the result, and I want to do better at clarifying it as well. As I'm using an unfiltered fruit juice, would pectic enzyme be enough? Or should I think about treating it with something like sparkalloid after I rack it to secondary?

Pectic enzyme has been enough for me using similar unfiltered juice from HEB (both their Central Market brand and Lewisburg cider). You can always add pectic enzyme when you pitch and see how much it clears on its own before adding a clarifier.

I tend to always use pectic enzyme - and that is my only clarifier when I make cider, but I am making 4 batches of cider at this time and the one into which I pitching Nottingham yeast has cleared the brightest fastest

I used to use unfiltered juice. I had clarity issues without any additives. Some treatments might help. The other thing to consider, is higher quality filtered juice. I haven't had to treat my latest batch and have great clarity.

Just something to think about.

Pectic enzyme and time has worked for all of my batches.

If you’re bottle conditioning you may want to try gelatin. I find that it compacts the fine lees and makes it less powdery when you’re handling bottles.

Latest posts

Back