Clarification questions!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3wb1e

Reaction score
Soooooooo I've been dabbling with brewing for a couple years now. This last batch has given me hell! It's a White House honey ale. Once I started I noticed that I didn't have any Irish moss or tabs... I transferred into secondary and left it there for a good 3 weeks. Looked great and clear to me until I Kegged it and did my first pull. Cloudy as heck. Super chill haze and some slight off favors.... (Possibly due to over carbing/carbing too fast).
I do have a question to see if I can't clear it up this way...
Can I pull my keg out and let it warm up and separate then pull off all the grossness before chilling?
Can I use gelatin now that its carbonated? Any help would be BEAUTIFUL!!

You can purge the co2 and take off the lid. Then dump the gelatin in, but, it will foam up so put the lid back on quick. I frequently chill the keg, put the gelatin in, and then attach the co2 and carbonate while its clarifying.

BrewingGunner said:
You can purge the co2 and take off the lid. Then dump the gelatin in, but, it will foam up so put the lid back on quick. I frequently chill the keg, put the gelatin in, and then attach the co2 and carbonate while its clarifying.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!! I will just go ahead and try it out. WTH! But taking it out and letting it warm up and possibly letting everything settle wouldn't work?

Thanks a bunch for the reply!! I will just go ahead and try it out. WTH! But taking it out and letting it warm up and possibly letting everything settle wouldn't work?

The opposite, sediment clears better/faster when the beer is cold.

How many beers have you pulled? It sounds like you've only pulled one glass. The first 3 pints may be hazy because of settled yeast. After that you should have clear beer since chill haze clears over time.

No, the chill haze won't be present when it's warm. Plus, the carbonation is what will make it foam not the temp.

Gelatin works best when the beer is really cold.

How many beers have you pulled? It sounds like you've only pulled one glass. The first 3 pints may be hazy because of settled yeast. After that you should have clear beer since chill haze clears over time.

this is what i think too. all depends on how careful you racked from FV to keg.

I also think you should pull a few more pints before coming to the conclusion that it is chill haze because when you first chill it yeast will settle to the bottom and the first few beers will pull that yeast into them causing cloudiness. That could be the reason you tasted off flavors also because it could be yeast and a small amount of trub that you pulled when transferring to the keg.

Personally unless you were entering it into a competition I wouldn't worry about the haze. The beer will taste the same whether or not it has chill haze and I think flavor is much more important than appearance. I'd rather not add gelatin to my beer unless I was entering it into a competition and the beer was really cloudy.

austinb said:
I also think you should pull a few more pints before coming to the conclusion that it is chill haze because when you first chill it yeast will settle to the bottom and the first few beers will pull that yeast into them causing cloudiness. That could be the reason you tasted off flavors also because it could be yeast and a small amount of trub that you pulled when transferring to the keg.

Personally unless you were entering it into a competition I wouldn't worry about the haze. The beer will taste the same whether or not it has chill haze and I think flavor is much more important than appearance. I'd rather not add gelatin to my beer unless I was entering it into a competition and the beer was really cloudy.

I'm almost positive it's chill haze. I've pulled more than just a few pints. At least 8-9. I pulled one pint and let it sit on my counter overnight and it cleared up beautifully. Of course there was some serious sediment on the bottom of the glass. Soo I guess I'll just suck it up a drink it...... If I haaaaaavveee too lol

Back