Citrus "Nuclear Carpet Bomb" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm02WS6

Reaction score
Need your help formulating an IPA with a HUGE citrus character. I researched "citrus bomb" and hop combinations and came up with some ideas but I thought I could go bigger so I'm calling this Citrus Nuclear Carpet Bomb IPA. Obviously, this recipe will focus on hops, so I'm curious about your feedback. The malt should be pretty light with a little bit of character from the Maris Otter and small amount of Crystal 10 steeping grains. I have a lot of hops to choose from, but my initial thought was to blend Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial in equal proportions for each hop addition. I also have Cascade, Simcoe, Mosaic, Columbus, and Chinook to use if they would fit the recipe better. All are whole leaf but I also have Amarillo and Citra in pellet form.

Keep in mind this is a 2.5 gallon batch

0.25 lb Crystal 10 steeping grains

3.15 lb Maris Otter LME, 0.8 lb Pilsen DME, and 0.25 lb Sucrose: 1.064 OG

Nottingham yeast, 5-6 grams rehydrated with O2 injection and fermented in the low 60's.

0.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 30 minutes
0.75 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 15 minutes
0.75 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 10 minutes
0.75 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 5 minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at flameout (added below 170, then hold for 30 minutes)
2.0 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix dry hop (in keg)

What do you think of the hop combination, amounts, and timing? I've done a lot of single-hop recipes lately so I want to branch out a little, but want to keep a theme and not throw in too many different hops. I'm also not good enough to know what hop to put at what time, so I figured the blend idea would work. Did a similar blend with Amarillo, Citra, and Cascade on a wheat a little bit ago and it worked out really well.

Looks like my post didn't go anywhere, but I still would appreciate some advice. Updated the recipe slightly since then:

0.25 lb Crystal 10 steeping grains

3.15 lb Maris Otter LME, 0.9 lb Pilsen DME, and 0.15 lb Sucrose: 1.064 OG

Nottingham yeast, 5-6 grams rehydrated with O2 injection and fermented in the low 60's.

0.6 oz Columbus at 30 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 15 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 10 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at 5 minutes
1.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix at flameout (added below 170, then hold for 30 minutes)
1.5 oz Amarillo/Citra/Centennial hop mix dry hop (in keg)

That recipe looks great, but if you want a serious flavor/aroma bomb, you really should go with 1oz additions and at least 3oz of dry hop.

Even in 2.5 gallons? I'm not doing a full batch on this one; otherwise I'd agree.

cm02WS6 said:
Even in 2.5 gallons? I'm not doing a full batch on this one; otherwise I'd agree.

Do you want an atomic bomb or a Nuclear Warhead? Dry hopping is an aroma addition but lends itself well to the perceived taste of the hops. I would at least up my dry hop volume to 2oz. Be sure to adjust for loss in hop absorption. Can't go wrong with Centennial for dry hop. I would keep citra primarily for your flavor additions.

I'd use more citra than the other two in a 2:1:1 ratio. I also never find Amarillo to be all that citrusy more floral, but it would still be really good in this recipe. I'd also add cascade to the mix for guaranteed grapefruit

Back