Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I have a bunch of Citra in the Freezer and Id like to copy your recipe but Im not sure what you mean when you say no Sparge and no chill?

Andy

Just means I didn't sparge or chill that beer, I use to live in an apartment and had to do that a lot. Don't worry about that, just brew as you normally would.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Going to brew this weekend. Do you find a noticeable difference not chilling?
If your not sparging do you up the grain bill to increase extracted sugars?

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply! :)

Going to brew this weekend. Do you find a noticeable difference not chilling?
If your not sparging do you up the grain bill to increase extracted sugars?

Cheers!

I do find a noticeable difference with no chill and I only do it on Berlinerweisse and Gose now (which I don't throw any hops into). I just didn't have a water hose at the apartment I lived at.

Yes, just increase the base malt to account for decreased efficiency and make sure you have enough room in your mash tun.

I would replace the 60 minute addition with another, less expensive hop. I really don't like Citra too early in the boil. I usually dry hop or throw it in right at flame out nowadays. If I were to brew this again today I would do a FWH, 60, 10, and 5 minute additions with a big dry hop. This was 6 years ago when I brewed this so I've changed/learned a few things.

Back