Citra Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckholm

Reaction score
Working on my first recipe (and brewing tomorrow) of an APA using Citra Hops for dry hopping. This will be my first time using Citra, I understand it is fairly a fairly strong hop...so....at 3 ounces / 5 gallons dry-hop am I over doing it?

This is a 10 gallon batch, with the following hop additions

1.4 oz summit at first wort
2 oz cascade whirlpool for 45 minutes
2 oz centennial whirlpool for 45 minutes
6 oz citra dry-hop for 5 days.

I'm concerned about the citra over-powering the cascade and centennial.

I'd say it depends on how big a beer it is. 6 oz for 10 gallons of an APA does seem like a lot for the style. But hey, it should smell amazing.

Yeah, it's high end on the bitterness too. Only thing stopping it from being an IPA is low gravity.

6 oz citra dry-hop for 5 days.

I'm concerned about the citra over-powering the cascade and centennial.

Then use less Citra...

If you want the fruity mangoy nice flavors of citra then you need to use the citra as a late hop addition, a whirlpool addition, or a "hop stand" addition; those flavors are generated by the action of yeast on the hop oils; if you dry hop in secondary you will NOT end up with the same citra-related flavors.

Too much citra can end up catty; a 6 oz dry-hop addition is definitely fully in catty territory and you'll likely need to let it age out until its drinkable.

Adam

I'm on the last few bottles of a Citra dry hopped IPA I bottled over a 1.5mos ago. I used 2oz Citra and 1 oz centennial(7 days) for 5gals. The flavor was really epic around 2 weeks but has really mellowed out. I think your 10gal batch will be just fine.

Have you brewed yet? IT looks like you have no flavor/aroma additions. 45 minute additions add nothing but bitterness. You need to move them to 20m or later. That's definitely IPA hopping, but I did a similar beer recently that's delicious. 3oz of dry hop is overkill, you won't really be able to notice the difference from 2oz. I would do a 1oz dry hop with citra. That should be more than enough if you use some late boil additions.

Have you brewed yet? IT looks like you have no flavor/aroma additions. 45 minute additions add nothing but bitterness. You need to move them to 20m or later. That's definitely IPA hopping, but I did a similar beer recently that's delicious. 3oz of dry hop is overkill, you won't really be able to notice the difference from 2oz. I would do a 1oz dry hop with citra. That should be more than enough if you use some late boil additions.

Yeah, I brewed it yesterday, but I made changes. Here is what the recipe ended up at:

10 lbs 2 row
6.5 lbs maris otter
2 lbs vienna
1 lb caramel 120
mash at 148

1 oz summit at first wort

1 oz each cascade, centennial and citra at 50 minutes
1 oz each of cascade, centennial and citra hopstand for 45 minutes

5.5 gal with us-05
5.5 gal with nottingham

Dryhop with 1 once of citra on one 5.5 gal, dryhop with 2 once of citra on the other.

Thanks!

Back