citra hops cutting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the crowns at any hop farm are all female. No males are allowed remotely close to the production field. So any bine included in a wet hop order has to be a female bine. Unless some guy is intentionally adding male bines just to be mean.

True but if I understand correctly a female plant can produce a male plant......which is why the seeds are a crap shoot at best.

True but if I understand correctly a female plant can produce a male plant......which is why the seeds are a crap shoot at best.

All hop plant sold commercially for brewing are female. They are essentially cloned by clipping the rhizome to produce a genetically identical (all female) plant.

When under stress, these female plants can sometimes put off male flowers. However, the pollen from these hermaphroditic plants is *almost* never viable. I have a cascade that throws a few male flowers every year. It is still a female plant. All the clones from this plant are also female.

Now to the fun part ... since hops are propagated by cloning, people haven't bothered to stabilize the strains like you might see with tomatoes. This means that they won't grow true from seed.

So, for instance: if my cascade somehow managed to pollinate itself, the resulting offspring would not be cascade. In fact, each seed produced would likely be a different (and brand new) variety of hops.

* never say never in biology. Sometimes, life finds a way!

All hop plant sold commercially for brewing are female. They are essentially cloned by clipping the rhizome to produce a genetically identical (all female) plant.

When under stress, these female plants can sometimes put off male flowers. However, the pollen from these hermaphroditic plants is *almost* never viable. I have a cascade that throws a few male flowers every year. It is still a female plant. All the clones from this plant are also female.

Now to the fun part ... since hops are propagated by cloning, people haven't bothered to stabilize the strains like you might see with tomatoes. This means that they won't grow true from seed.

So, for instance: if my cascade somehow managed to pollinate itself, the resulting offspring would not be cascade. In fact, each seed produced would likely be a different (and brand new) variety of hops.

* never say never in biology. Sometimes, life finds a way!

kinda like how 'Johnny Appleseed' spread apple trees throughout the countryside, and the harvest was mostly cider?
LOVE IT!

And this is why I like this forum, learned more about Botany today... Always figured plant seeds were just that, seeds to grow new plants.

Thanks for everyones contribution to this discussion.

strumke said:
Anyone get any wet hops yet? If so, how many pounds, and how many bine pieces did you get?

I harvested about 15 lbs of wet hops a few days ago. It's looking to be about 1.5 lbs dry. Cascade and Centennial, 2 plants of each, second year.

Back