Citra and "catty" character

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
This is not one of those "how do I avoid the catty character" posts. In fact, quite the opposite.

I like the catty character in heavily hopped ales - I find it delightfully offensive, if that makes sense. I've got a bunch of citra on hand, and would like to know how I can get some of that into my brew. I have read some people's posts on them experiencing it from early additions of citra, while others say it comes from heavy late additions.

Anyone have any conclusive thoughts on this?

My own personal experience is that Citra has less catty character than some other American hops. To me, Cascade is far cattier, and of course really easy to find. Citra meanwhile has a lot more of the just plain fruit character--grapefruit, mango, pineapple, especially. So if you're looking for cat, I would add Cascade hops from 20-10 minutes. But taste is somewhat subjective, so maybe other people have other experiences.

I don't get cat piss from Citra at all. Simcoe has that flavor, if you ask me, but in a good way :fro:

I've never really gotten that from Citra or Cascade, though a few accounts do mention them for Citra. Same with Cluster.

I've seen a few people say Simcoe has it. It's not in any of the more "official" descriptions I've seen, though.

Brambling Cross, Brewer's Gold, Gelena, and Legacy are also said to have that "blackcurrant" flavor.

The only cats piss citra I have ever had was a commercial beer. It was really horrible and surprising as citra was one of my favourite hops when I started.

I brewed a SMaSH with Citra in 2013 and it was pretty catty if you ask me. Brewed the exact same recipe last year and it want catty at all.

I think that the characteristics of Citra may have changed over the years through different harvests.

Citra is grown by more farms than any other hop now. It’s grown in three states with totally different soil, weather, etc in each. It can vary drastically not only by where it’s grown but also when it’s harvested among a million other things. There is some Citra that’s dank and catty and has a bunch of BO smell... then there’s Citra that’s nothing but lychee and lime. You’ll have to find some of the dank catty Citra. I wish you luck, it’s a bit of a crap shoot. Although as homebrewers we get the table scraps so we’re actually more likely to get the dank/catty stuff, most professional brewers don’t want that in their Citra.

Citra throughout beers are catty to me - Pseudosue from TG and all the big IPAs from Surly. Find out what they do and you might be in the right track.

Single hop it at a rate of 2oz per gallon through. Youre almost sure to get cattyness. If don’t get any, then you’ll be lucky and really happy with the fruit bomb you created lol

The "Catty" comes from 4MMP. If you have the possibility, you can maybe try to get hold of the lot number of the hops you are buying and see if 4MMP is mentioned. If not, and you can do with other hops than Citra, look at which hops in general have a lot of 4MMP.

Cluster hops mabey. Most important thing is whirlpool 180 degrees then add in the hops. Hold it for at least 20 min. Spank it till it stinks.

I never got catty from Citra, Simcoe or even Brewer's Gold ( a really underused hop ). But I do get some onion notes from Citra in commercial examples and again onion from Mosaic.

I find Citra is variable from crop to crop. Sometimes it's super catty, but often not. I hate cat piss, but I love many or most Citra beers. It's just the occasional version of a Citra beer where I say whoa I don't want to drink that. I don't think timing of additions matter at all. I think it's just a terrior or crop-year thing.

I abhor Simcoe and avoid it at all costs. And Mosaic. Yuck.

I’m surprised how many people said they never got cattyness or B.o. from Citra. It’s absolutely notorious for throwing it when used in high amounts. I’m jealous that their getting better batches then me lol

It may sound weird that there are people that don't get the catty in those hops, but I think some people are more sensitive to those kind of aromas and flavours. I for one, can't stand the onion/boiled onion/chives aroma and flavour in some beers using Mosaic ( total turn off ) and Citra ( usually not as intense as Mosaic, but blends better with the citrus/lychee notes ).

It may sound weird that there are people that don't get the catty in those hops, but I think some people are more sensitive to those kind of aromas and flavours. I for one, can't stand the onion/boiled onion/chives aroma and flavour in some beers using Mosaic ( total turn off ) and Citra ( usually not as intense as Mosaic, but blends better with the citrus/lychee notes ).
I’ve had mosaic pellets smell that way before coming in so they went in the boil instead of DH. Never seen it carry over in the finished beer. With Summit I have though so I know what you’re referring to

Last edited:
If you saw green as I do perhaps it would be your favorite color. Cheers

I’ve had mosaic pellets smell that way before coming in so they went in the boil instead of DH. Never seen it carry over in the finished beer. With Summit I have though so I know what you’re referring to

Not to go down that rabbit hole but Mosaic most of the time if it’s the prominent hop has a very pungent taste, crude jokes aside it has become know as the “who ha” hop in my circle... will let the one sink in as to why.

Citra I have never had issues with being cat piss like but then again I always pair it with other hops, always a whirlpool or dry hop addition.

Cascade I have stopped using entirely, the past year or so every time I use it it had a an off tea like taste that has killed some otherwise good brews for me.

This is not one of those "how do I avoid the catty character" posts. In fact, quite the opposite.

I like the catty character in heavily hopped ales - I find it delightfully offensive, if that makes sense. I've got a bunch of citra on hand, and would like to know how I can get some of that into my brew. I have read some people's posts on them experiencing it from early additions of citra, while others say it comes from heavy late additions.

Anyone have any conclusive thoughts on this?

Clawhammer Supply just did a Catty Lager. They used Nelson Sauvin hops if (excuse me for lack of better terms)...cat piss is the flavor profile you like.
...These hops come from New Zealand and are known for their fruit punch and catty aromas. At the top of our 60 minute boil they added 0.2 ounces of Nelson Sauvin. At the end of the boil, they chilled the wort down to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and added 1.8 ounces of Nelson Sauvin. They let those whirlpool for 20 minutes before chilling down to 55 degrees Fahrenheit... (this was for a 5 gallon batch).

Here is a link to the recipe and a video they did. They do a great job there.
https://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/nelson-sauvin-catty-lager-beer

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

The “Catty” character is from the 4MMP thiol I believe. Do some research on how to maximize that thiol in final beer.

Back