Cinnamon Rolls w/ Spent Choc Grain Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
I've just started using brewing leftovers in my bread baking. I finished a True Brew Porter and I decided to use the left over chocolate grain malt in the dough. In the attached pic, you can see the specks of chocolate malt grain. How does this make my cinnamon rolls better? Hmm, more rustic the wife says. I think this addition provides more texture, chewiness, and richer bread. See the recipe below.

Dough Formula
Whole wheat flour: 100%
Milk or buttermilk: 58%
Egg: 12.4%
Honey: 18.8%
Butter, melted: 6.2%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.3%

Dough Ingredients
Whole wheat flour: 450 grams
Lukewarm buttermilk: 275 grams
Egg: 1 large, lightly beaten
Honey: 85 grams
Butter, melted: 28 grams
Salt: 9 grams
Instant yeast: 6 grams
CHOCOLATE GRAIN MALT: 2 Tablespoons

Filling ingredients
Brown sugar: 210 grams
Egg White: 1 large
Cinnamon: 14 grams
Salt: Just a pinch
Currants or raisins: 100 g
Chopped pecans: 60 grams 6 MONTH BOURBON SOAKED

Cinnamon Roll Glaze
Powdered sugar: 120 grams
Lemon juice or milk: 15-30 grams

Mixing
Mix the milk, egg, honey and butter. Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a separate bowl, and then add to the liquids.
Develop dough.
Dough will be ready in about 2 hours.

Filling and Glaze
mix everything together until smooth except the dried fruit.
mix up the glaze and cover.

Shaping
Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
Then, on a lighlty floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle that's roughly 12x16 inches. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a margin of about an inch on the top and bottom edges. Scatter the dried fruit and the nuts over the filling.

Roll the dough into a log and then, using a serrated knife or some dental floss, divide the log in half. Cut the two halves in half. Finally, divide each of these sections into three so you end up with 12 buns. Place the buns in the pan.
Cover the pan with plastic and pop them in the refrigerator. The next morning, let them warm up with the oven light on until they begin to touch.

Baking
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Leave the rolls in the pan and drizzle the glaze over them.
Cool for 20-30 minutes.

Original Recipe from the Fresh Loaf:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/whole-wheat-cinnamon-rolls-amp-sticky-buns

IMAG0220.jpg

Alright, these look amazing. Is there any way I can just send you money and you ship me these? :D So much to do, so little time!

Back