Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runswithlightning

Reaction score
Have a cider that's been sitting in bottles for probably about a month. Popped the top on one today and it foamed everywhere leaving only about half a glass. What gives?

How long was it in the fermenter, and what was the FG when you bottled it? How did you carbonate it? I'm guessing you didn't let it finish fermenting fully before you bottled it.

Did you do a OG and FG reading. Cider will go down pretty low like 1.00 and under. So you probably bottled too soon. You really need to take your time with cider. If you go over to the cider area you will see most everyone says the longer the better. I have one going now that I racked at 4 weeks to the secondary and I don't plan on kegging until around february. My first 2 batches were ok but tasted better with age. Good luck I love cider its what got me started in this mess ;)

If they are gushing that bad already its possible. Just drink them up. This was one reason why I moved to kegging so fast. Now I can back sweeten and carb much easier. Get some friends over and enjoy them sooner than later to be safe and buy/use a hydrometer next time.

Back