Cider Yeast Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivalry15

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying an experiment to pick my new house yeast for cider. I was curious which would taste the best as a dry cider so I set this up. I have 5-1 gallon bubblers with fresh pressed cider going. I'm trying WLP051, 007, 090 and two with 775.
They are all still a churning and bubbling however what's odd to me is that the 775 started faster and is already clearing quite significantly and slowing down after only 3 days.
The 051, 007 and 090 are still cloudy and bubbling away. I haven't yet taken a gravity sample of the 775 but will when I get home in a few days.
Has anyone else had 775 burn right through the cider before?

Thanks!

I just tried non-wine yeast for the first time this past week. I pitched a 48 hour old starter into 17 litres of fresh juice (1.06) 36 hours after sulfite on Monday. By Wednesday there was little no activity in the airlock anymore. On Thursday I dumped an additional 10 litres of 1.04 juice into the nearly complete ferment. I had airlock activity for a short while and on Saturday I measured it at 1.002. That's "dry" in my books. It might go lower in the coming weeks and months. I plan on racking soon.

The above was WLP775 English Cider yeast. I also pitched Cider House Select yeast and Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead. I haven't measured those yet but the activity seems to be over. I'm almost tempted to say that these three yeasts are just as voracious as EC1118. In full disclosure, I have never made a starter with any of my wine yeasts and I have never waited 36-48 hours after camden before pitching.

Back