Cider - slow ferment and gravity question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matrim

Reaction score
I started a 3 gallon batch of cider on 11.20.13:
Fresh juice, 300 gm pale DME, 1 cup candi syrup, soaked cooked and strained oats, Nottingham yeast. O.G. 1.063
Started fermenting like normal. I added superfood and DAP at intervals.
I racked it to two 1 gallon jugs on 12.14.13 because the ferment slowed and I wanted to reduce head-space. Tho I still had to top off with 1/4 gallon juice to each. (Gravity before the addition of fresh juice 1.004.)

They have been quietly doing their thing ever since - still bubbling away. There's no noticeable activity in the airlock, but many bubbles are visible in the cider. This is a much longer ferment than I have seen in the past. Is there anything I should do to help it along? Should I just let it keep going?

I'd like to test the gravity, but I'm afraid that taking a sample will produce too much head-space in a gallon jug. Does anyone know the best way to take gravity samples? Or should I just top off with water and hope it doesn't dilute it too much?

Thanks for any input!

It's probably not fermenting- it's probably just c02 in the cider that you see.

There is only one way to know if it's done- taking gravity readings.

If you sanitize your wine thief (or, a turkey baster), and sanitize your hydrometer and test jar, you can gently put the samples back into the fermenter if you don't want to "waste" it by drinking it!

I agree with Yooper completely, but I had one question, why did you add pale DME at first?

Cuz I'm relatively new and didn't know better? Was this a terrible idea? I planned to dry hop the cider and did so shortly after yooper answered. I used 11 grams of fuggle in one jug and 5.5 grams in the other.

Another question: The hops have not really settled on the bottom. There is a substantial amount floating on top. I want to take it off the hops and bottle. What do you think the best way to do this is?

20140317_190942.jpg

20140317_190955.jpg

The only way to move wine/mead/cider is by "racking"- siphoning. You can siphon it from below that floating stuff and above any lees (sediment) on the bottom. Stop siphoning when you suck up floaties.

Latest posts

Back