Cider on its way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
Just finished my first SNA on 5gallons of fresh pressed cider, and I added 1.5 cups of Turbinado sugar and 1.5 cups of wildflower honey.

Should be pitching some EC-1118 here in a couple hours!

That sounds like a familiar recipe. I've done that same 1.5 cups sugar + 1.5 cups honey. You'll get a nice and strong cider. Not too strong but strong just the same.

I see you are a wine guy are you planning applying a nutrient regimen?

Totally! I guess I overlooked your SNA in the original post.

I read that and found it absolutely fascinating.

Something to consider and please take it with a grain of salt but... I spoke with a commercial cider maker in my state a few weeks ago at a dinner and he says he doesn't stagger nutrients just adds them in all at once.

Myself I've been doing the staggered with the three declining nutrient additions. I'd had thoughts of staggering then awhile ago and then I ran into this article and it won me over. As far as I can tell it can't hurt and may possibly help. I know Fermaid K has nitrogen in it but I've also been adding a small amount of DAP if I get any signs of sulfur smells and it knocks it right out in the matter of a day or so.

If you don't mind me asking, what yeast are you using?

Back