Cider made with Distillers Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
A few months ago I looked all around on the internet for info about using distillers yeast (DADY) to make apple cider. I came up with nothing. I was ordering a keg anyway so I ordered a pound of Red Star DADY. The first batch is finished and I am drinking it now. It tastes fine to me. It flocculated very well. When I get near the end of this batch I will save some. By then my next batch made with champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) will be done and I will do "the Pepsi Challenge" and report back.

Why use DADY?
It is even cheaper than Fleishman's Active Dry Yeast and flocculates better.
You might be able to get FLEISCHMANN’S RapidRise Yeast cheaper than DADY at Sam's Club. The price comes out close if I remember.

I have not brewed with RadidRise. If I live long enough to use all the yeast I have I will try it and report back, provided it is actually cheaper.

So hopefully the next time someone searches "Can you make apple cider with distillers yeast?"
the answer 'YES!" comes up.

Latest posts

Back