Cider Input/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just put a cider in primary a little over a week ago. It was:
  • 5 gallons apple juice
  • 2 lbs dark brown sugar
  • Nottingham Yeast

I was thinking of having it in primary for 2 months before moving it to secondary for ~10 months. In secondary I was thinking of adding oak chips and cinnamon sticks. I would appreciate any advice or input you have on the recipe.

Thanks,

TheNewGuy

Sounds like a plan! Just keep in mind that the oak and cinnamon notes will keep getting stronger the longer you leave them in. Make a plan to taste your cider over the course of a month or two, and rack off the oak/cinnamon when it has reached the level you want.

I typically add a ground cinnamon/nutmeg mix (presoaked in vodka to extract the oils) and rack off it after 2-4 weeks. Many folks use whole cinnamon sticks, which I have read take a bit longer.

Hope that helps! :)

Cool, thanks for the input. I think I will just float the oak and cinnamon sticks in a bag in secondary and pull them out when I like the taste. Maybe soak them all in rum or brandy? A lot of things I could potentially do lol.

Yes, soaking the oak in an alcohol along with the cinnamon will extract oils that would take a lot longer to extract mearly placing them in the brew. Just remember that if you use a brandy or whiskey instead of a vodka you will be adding an extra layer of taste to the brew. Not necessarily a bad thing but just one more taste to factor in!

sounds like its gonna be really sweet. let me know how it turns out with just brown sugar please I've been wanting more info on this…!!

sounds like its gonna be really sweet. let me know how it turns out with just brown sugar please I've been wanting more info on this…!!

Will do. Maybe I will take out a sample of it when I move it to secondary, and some after the flavoring in secondary. :mug:

Sorry for not updating in a long time. We bottled this earlier today and I will give my impressions on it so far.

It has been in secondary for ~6 months (rough estimate), with 3-4 cinnamon sticks, and ~1/2 a bag of medium toasted american oak chips. They were left in the whole time in secondary.

At first tasting several months ago I was afraid that by adding the dark brown sugar I had put too much molasses in, and should have used light brown sugar. However, the aging and addition of oak and cinnamon has mellowed the flavors and allowed them to blend well. The nose smells of apple and cinnamon, with a nice clear bronze color. Taste: apple, nice light oak flavor, a nice level of molasses flavor and with a medium level of cinnamon. Overall, I am very happy with it. Planning to do~2/3 carbonated and 1/3 still and compare them. Will try to update again with a comparison of the carbonation.

Back