Cider from Apple juice (stick with me here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I know there are dozens of posts on here, google, Bing, etc. regarding making cider from store bought apple juice but here is my question:
I was wondering if I can/should/shouldn't add water to the big gallon jugs of "Mott's apple juice". I was going to put 2 jugs of the juice in with X amount of sugar (I'll judge the amount with my hydrometer when the time comes) and I'm going to use some beer yeast I have hanging out in the fridge that I have for back-up (I have a few so I won't be kicking myself in the butt later). I'm just wondering if it will water the juice down too much and make it more like "light apple flavored alcoholic water". Any thoughts?

No, absolutely don't add water. Store juice comes in around 1.040-1.050. Adding sugar will bump that up. Adding water will decrease it...so you are essentially going in circles. Its generally accepted that you need cider to be in the 1.050-1.065 range.

That is why I am adding sugar to the deluted (sp) juice. I'm not a new brewer/wine-o, so I know how to raise the SG I was just wondering if it would take the apple flavor off way too much. I might also try adding a can or 2 or 4 of the juice concentrate.

Yes, the water will make it taste less apple-like, so will the extra sugar.

Using concentrate is a good way to up the apple flavor instead of just adding plain sugar, but it only goes so far and then it just makes it to tart.

In general, hard cider is already a lightly apple flavored beverage, no matter what you do, it won't taste like fresh cider.

Yes, the water will make it taste less apple-like, so will the extra sugar.

Using concentrate is a good way to up the apple flavor instead of just adding plain sugar, but it only goes so far and then it just makes it to tart.

In general, hard cider is already a lightly apple flavored beverage, no matter what you do, it won't taste like fresh cider.

It may not taste like fresh cider unless you ferment up to a ABV % higher than you want then blend with Fresh cider ;) It does work, I've tried it.

Yes it will take apple flavor away, and take body away. Frankly, I don't see the point. You dilute the apple juice, then add sugar to bump the gravity back up to the original SG? It really doesn't make any sense. Ferment your apple juice. No need to make this complicate.

ohhh, I like the way you think! I think I'll just make the 2 gallons of apple juice I have, add the mixture of concentrated juice and water to make a 5 gallon batch as well as add the sugar needed to get that SG up THEN after the fermentation add fresh cider! I like the way this sounds! if it turns out bad (which I've never had something I've brewed not turn out at least drinkable, knock on wood) I have a Bavarian Wheat priming in the keg and an Irish Stout being brewed tomorrow! hmmmm beer!!!!

Thank you all for your input! I love this site!

Ok, I brewed the Cider yesterday before the amazing Oregon Ducks win (Go Ducks!!!), anyways, I ended up throwing 2 gallons of apple juice (Mott's) I mixed 7 cans of concentrate apple juice with only 1 can of water to each can (rather than the 3 it calls for), only God knows how much sugar I added (somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 cups of sugar to the 5 gallons of juice) cooked it all together for about 15 minutes (not boiling it) and made a yeast nutrient out of raisins, threw it all together in the carboy and it was so active within an hour I went from an airlock to a blowoff tube just in case so I don't have to clean up a mess in the morning. SG turned out to be 1.074. We will see how it comes out...

Ok, I brewed the Cider yesterday before the amazing Oregon Ducks win (Go Ducks!!!), anyways, I ended up throwing 2 gallons of apple juice (Mott's) I mixed 7 cans of concentrate apple juice with only 1 can of water to each can (rather than the 3 it calls for), only God knows how much sugar I added (somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 cups of sugar to the 5 gallons of juice) cooked it all together for about 15 minutes (not boiling it) and made a yeast nutrient out of raisins, threw it all together in the carboy and it was so active within an hour I went from an airlock to a blowoff tube just in case so I don't have to clean up a mess in the morning. SG turned out to be 1.074. We will see how it comes out...

Hmmmbeer, I've used concentrate before and I basically created a apple juice from the concentrate. I ended up around 1.03 or so. I then added a touch of Dextrose. I suppose you could use any fermentable sugar, malt, etc. depending on what kind of taste your looking for. Mine actually turned out really good with a SG of 1.062 at the start. I used ale yeast. Really tasty.

When I commented on the water, I was assuming you were going to water down cider then add sugar to bring the SG back up. I have enough trouble keeping apple taste in and didn't want you to make a similar mistake as I had previously in a 3L test batch.

edit: Sounds like you did better than I did at first as I added too much water making the Apple Juice, then I had to add sugar. Good Luck.

I have blended with fresh cider when done to get some taste back. I've seen others add just concentrate to get some of the taste back as well.

Hmmmbeer, I've used concentrate before and I basically created a apple juice from the concentrate. I ended up around 1.03 or so. I then added a touch of Dextrose. I suppose you could use any fermentable sugar, malt, etc. depending on what kind of taste your looking for. Mine actually turned out really good with a SG of 1.062 at the start. I used ale yeast. Really tasty.

When I commented on the water, I was assuming you were going to water down cider then add sugar to bring the SG back up. I have enough trouble keeping apple taste in and didn't want you to make a similar mistake as I had previously in a 3L test batch.

edit: Sounds like you did better than I did at first as I added too much water making the Apple Juice, then I had to add sugar. Good Luck.

I have blended with fresh cider when done to get some taste back. I've seen others add just concentrate to get some of the taste back as well.

Oh no, you heard/understood me correctly. After everyone's replies I decided to stop being cheap and just throw in the extra apple juice concentrate. It was because you and others that I "juiced" it up like Berry Bonds! I chopped up an apple in the food processer to add a bit of apple flavor as well (seeds and all) hope that was an ok thought... its fermenting amazinly so I guess it should be fine!
Thank you to everyone for replying

Back