Cider fermenting for 3 weeks and ABV seems low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlwilson007

Reaction score
I started fermenting a cider 3 weeks ago. Added brown sugar to the must to get the OG to 1.045. Tempurature has been a consistent 68 degrees. Using Lavlin 78b yeast. I just cracked open the fermentation bucket to get a gravity reading, and it was 1.016. This seems a little high to me after three weeks. Puts me at just under 4% ABV. I'm going to bottle condition which will bring the ABV up a little, but it seems like the fermentation may have stopped early (I can't say that for certain as I have only taken the one gravity reading today since starting fermentation. The cider looks good and smells amazing. This is my first cider attempt, so I'm short of adding more sugar to increase the OG, I don't know why the ABV would be so low. Should I expect the gravity readings to keep coming down? How long should I wait? Or is it time to consider bottling already? I'm in no rush, for what it's worth.

How are you taking your readings? Just checking that your hydrometer is calibrated and accurate, since that yeast should take cider to as low as .990 (assuming it's 96B).

Is it clear? Any signs of fermentation? What kind of juice did you use? I would not bottle this, as it seems stuck and not finished.

How are you taking your readings? Just checking that your hydrometer is calibrated and accurate, since that yeast should take cider to as low as .990 (assuming it's 96B).

Is it clear? Any signs of fermentation? What kind of juice did you use? I would not bottle this, as it seems stuck and not finished.
For the readings, I’m using a refractometer which I calibrated. The cider looks pretty clear, and I’m not noticing any signs of fermentation, though I can begin taking readings every couple of days now. For the juice, I used store bought cider (Musselmans?) and I added fermaid k to help the yeast. Fermentation began after about 2 days, and there was good activity in the airlock. After about a week of noticeable activity, it slowed and like I said, now 3 weeks in.

I don’t know if I can help the yeast along, or just start taking measurements to see if there is activity and wait longer. If nothing changes, maybe eventually I just bottle and pasteurize, but I much prefer fermentation to continue.

The alcohol in the cider is skewing the refractometer reading. Once alcohol is in the mix, refractometer readings need to have a correction factor. Best practice is to use a hydrometer for final gravity readings as the correction calculations are not totally accurate.

The alcohol in the cider is skewing the refractometer reading. Once alcohol is in the mix, refractometer readings need to have a correction factor. Best practice is to use a hydrometer for final gravity readings as the correction calculations are not totally accurate.

Yes, exactly! Use a refractometer correction tool, and I bet you'll find that it's been finished for a while.

For the readings, I’m using a refractometer which I calibrated. The cider looks pretty clear, and I’m not noticing any signs of fermentation, though I can begin taking readings every couple of days now. For the juice, I used store bought cider (Musselmans?) and I added fermaid k to help the yeast. Fermentation began after about 2 days, and there was good activity in the airlock. After about a week of noticeable activity, it slowed and like I said, now 3 weeks in.

I don’t know if I can help the yeast along, or just start taking measurements to see if there is activity and wait longer. If nothing changes, maybe eventually I just bottle and pasteurize, but I much prefer fermentation to continue.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/
Use part II and plug in your numbers.

Sweet! I just learned something! Ok, getting the hydrometer back out then! I would have waited to reply until I got the reading but I’m excited and won’t be able to do this until later. :)

Sweet! I just learned something! Ok, getting the hydrometer back out then! I would have waited to reply until I got the reading but I’m excited and won’t be able to do this until later. :)

In the meantime, you can use that correction tool that is in the link, and you'll have a great idea what the FG is!

In the meantime, you can use that correction tool that is in the link, and you'll have a great idea what the FG is!
Well, the great news is my hydrometer reading at 68 degrees was .993. And I tools some, sweetened it, and it was fantastic! Given the other comment about OG of the juice, I do wonder if my OG reading was off. So given what I know, my ABV is now a range from 7% to just over 8% (due to adding brown sugar). Plus, when I bottle, I’ll add dextrose for the carbonation.

I really appreciate all the help and insight from all that contributed! I’d offer to share, but you know...COVID. Lol

Correct. I’m going for sparkling. I’ll be using non fermentable sugar for sweetening.

Back