Cider Experiments w/ Brett, ECY20 and Bottle Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizoneill

B33R IS G00D
Reaction score
This weekend is my local home brew clubs annual cider pressing and I'll be there once again but this time I plan on getting 15 gallons of cider and splitting it out into 3 different fermentation's.

1st - Will be an all brett fermentation. I'll be using Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois Vrai, Brettanomyces Clausenii and Brettanomyces bruxellensis.

2nd - Will be fermented with East Coast Yeast ECY20 BugCounty.

3rd - Will be my biggest question mark that I plan to ferment with dregs of Sante Adairius Rustic Ales, Saison Bernice.:drunk:

As I stated these are experiments and I hope to have some great outcomes!

Also please let me know if you have experimented with anything like this in the past all information is helpful and graciously accepted!

Cheers!:mug:

I just did this yesterday. I ended up with a few experiments. 12.5 Gallons total.

#1 - 4.25 gal of cider with Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois Vrai, Brettanomyces Clausenii, Brettanomyces bruxellensis and Saccharomyces "bruxellensis" Trois.

#2 - 2.25 gal of cider that I killed off the wild yeasts and will add 5lbs of cherries and not sure what yeast yet. Thinking Nottingham.

#3 - 5 gal of cider with and old ECY20 Bug County. We'll see what happens with this...

#4 - 1 gal left to ferment out with wild yeast and then I'll bend with some fresh cider.

Nice. I've run a lot of yeast experiments on my ciders, but only one with Brett. I hope you find a Brett you like, as honestly, I hated the one I did. I'm not sure which exact type of Brett it was either; this was several years ago. Overall my favorites are still Cote des Blancs and US-05. Both make very tasty and appley ciders, with a slight hint of cinnamon spice in the background (no spice is added -- this is from the apples and yeast). Good luck to you.

Nice. I've run a lot of yeast experiments on my ciders, but only one with Brett. I hope you find a Brett you like, as honestly, I hated the one I did. I'm not sure which exact type of Brett it was either; this was several years ago. Overall my favorites are still Cote des Blancs and US-05. Both make very tasty and appley ciders, with a slight hint of cinnamon spice in the background (no spice is added -- this is from the apples and yeast). Good luck to you.

Thanks! I have only used Nottingham with apple juice before and it came out great. Hope it works with the fresh cider too!

I pitched a blend of bretts because I have had single brett ciders before and they just seem one dimensional so hoping pitching this blend with create something very interesting... We'll see! :ban:

I have used Nottingham one time. It resulted in a finished cider that was very tasty but had an additional peach flavor which was quite interesting. Try those other two sometime, I can promise you won't be sorry.

Back