Cider color and questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdenton

Reaction score
Hello

This is my second time making a cider. The first was EdWorts with store brought juice and it turned out great.

The second is with my own apples pressed by me so I am super excited to see how it turns out.
I am going to try the carmel apple recipe with a few variations.

My question is on color, when I pressed the cider on Saturday I also added potasium metabisulfate to kill the wild yeast
og was 1.052

So last night I added 3 cups sugar and brought up the gravity to 1.068
Stirred in the sugar and then pitched the nottingham and stirred again

When I looked at the cider it was a lot lighter in color after 2 days and I wanted know if that is normal or if somthing is wrong

the cider in my fridge is still a lot darker (same color as when pressed)

The wine glass is from the ale pale and the mug is from the cider in the fridge

7yj3.JPG

rpj9.jpg

3ty6.jpg

Totally normal, while fresh apple juice is brown, cider is typically yellow.

Fun fact: Apple juice is actually green in color but oxidizes to brown almost instantly after being exposed to air.

Yes, I've seen lots of cider turn that pale golden color before (good pics btw). As long as your flavor is good, I would not worry. My educated guess is that your yeast has scrubbed all the O2 out of your cider (they like breathing just as much as we do). Thus your "browning" affect that happens when apples are exposed to oxygen is reversed. Cool huh?

That is really cool. I am excited and cant wait for it to actually start fermenting out. be

Thanks for the compliment on the pic's nothing like and iphone :)

I plan on pressing another 10 gallons by Sunday and starting a 5 gallon batch and 5 1 gallon batches of different flavors to see which I like best

I am really liking finally having a bumper crop of apples
Maybe I will take a video of my pressing process this weekend

Back