Cider clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FilmLabRat

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing beer for over 15 years, but I'm pretty new to cider making but have had some success. The one common problem that I seem to have is getting it to clear on its own.

The last couple of batches have been tasty but when they didn't drop brite after 6 months, I fined them with Super-Kleer. That worked great, but I'd rather just figure out how to alter my technique so that they clear by themselves. I've tried 4 different yeasts with the same result.

I use fresh pressed juice from a local orchard and have no control over the apple mix. I sterilize the juice by heating to 170 degrees for 15 minutes. I add yeast nutrient.

Any thoughts?

I sterilize the juice by heating to 170 degrees for 15 minutes.

That might be setting the pectin in the juice, and result in a permanent haze. If you really feel the need to sterilize the juice, use crushed campden tablets.

Also pectic enzyme in the beginning, or sparkloid in the secondary, will help clear.

I forgot to mention that I do use pectic enzyme and it does help somewhat. But I have been using it after a few weeks - I'll try it at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't worry too much about the clarity. I drink cloudy wheat beers all the time and don't care. This is my latest Apple-Cranberry Cider.

image-2907534419.jpg

Back