Cider being brewed with GMO-free, pure cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So I was starting a batch of cider for the fall, but the place I get my supplies at were out of dextrose, which is what I normally use. So I went to the baking section, and found "morena pure cane sugar". It was only 0.50 more then regular table sugar, so I said what the heck. It's a more unrefined sugar, so its darker, but not as dark a brown sugar, its also GMO-free, but I doubt that will make any difference. They were also out of Nottingham, so I went with Windsor. I am aware it has a lower attenuation, but I like sweeter ciders, so it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't fement dry. Here is what I ended up with-

3 gallon Batch

2lb morena pure cane sugar
2 cups water
352oz Apple Juice
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Windsor Ale Yeast

OG 1.072

I was going to, stabilize (it will be a still cider), add 3 cans apple concentrate, and caremalized sugar, the amount depending on how much sugar ferments out.

I may add some mulling spices, maple syrup, or chocolate. I've made maple and chocolate ciders before, but never have tried mulling spices. I'd like it to be all the same, but may end up splitting them into three 1g jugs and make one of each.

Back