Cider Batch - Fermentation Gravities - Notty Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnc9702

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I read over some threads of those using Notty yeast, not quite sure if I was able to get the actual answer I needed. LHBS guy mentioned that this may ferment down to under 1.00 (though I thought that would be more with a champagne yeast), however the cider has been in primary for over 2 weeks, temp has been in the 60's. Definitely not as much activity but still some gas leaving (I perceived as gas coming out of solution). Not in a hurry but took measurements yesterday, 6.5-7 Brix adjusted to about 1.013SG, today the Brix were about the same and I actually took SG with the hydro and its sitting at 1.012. Taste nice, a little yeasty but good. I will get measurements again tomorrow to see if this is still fermenting but since its been 2 weeks I figured this guy should be about done so I should get ready to transfer to secondary and let it clear a while before bottling, anyone worked with the yeast and has similar measurements? Definitely not a problem with the SG being higher, its my first cider so I'm not familiar with how much unfermentable sugars may be in the cider that the Notty may not ferment. If not should I raise the temp? This was made with Honeycrisp Pasteurized apple cider.

Hi Folks - I read over some threads of those using Notty yeast, not quite sure if I was able to get the actual answer I needed. LHBS guy mentioned that this may ferment down to under 1.00 (though I thought that would be more with a champagne yeast), however the cider has been in primary for over 2 weeks, temp has been in the 60's. Definitely not as much activity but still some gas leaving (I perceived as gas coming out of solution). Not in a hurry but took measurements yesterday, 6.5-7 Brix adjusted to about 1.013SG, today the Brix were about the same and I actually took SG with the hydro and its sitting at 1.012. Taste nice, a little yeasty but good. I will get measurements again tomorrow to see if this is still fermenting but since its been 2 weeks I figured this guy should be about done so I should get ready to transfer to secondary and let it clear a while before bottling, anyone worked with the yeast and has similar measurements? Definitely not a problem with the SG being higher, its my first cider so I'm not familiar with how much unfermentable sugars may be in the cider that the Notty may not ferment. If not should I raise the temp? This was made with Honeycrisp Pasteurized apple cider.

I think with nottingham yeast, it depends on what the OG was for your batch. I've been reading that, for some people, it kinda drops off at around 1.005-1.010 when fermenting. My own batch that I did with notty has been fermenting for just under a week (by hours), and the majority of airlock activity was the first 3-4 days. The estimated SG was 1.065ish, and since I'll be cold crashing it tonight, I can definitely say that the odds of it being fermented completely dry are low, but I'll leave absolute certainty until after I measure.

As far as unfermentables, unless they're listed on the ingredients of the cider's bottle, none are in there and 100% of it is yeast food.

Another suggestion I've read on the forums is that if the hydro's giving you the same measurements for 2-3 days straight, it's pretty much done. Just some info from one first-timer to another.

thanks for the input - ill find out for sure tomorrow, my OG was 1.050, if it does settle at these measurements it should be a real nice cider - good choice to go with Notty vs the overly dry champagne yeast.

Have made several batches with Nottingham without adding any sugar, S.G.s in the 1.050 ranges. All fermented down to .998 or .999. Now that doesn't mean other conditions (temperature, nutrient levels, etc.) or added sugar might not create a stall or finish at higher F.G.s, but don't assume that becasue its Notty it won't ferment to dry. Also, be sure your readings are accurate, adjusted for temperature, removed bubbles clinging to hydrometer, etc. As you indicate, all that matters in the end is that you like it, whereever it stops.

Back