Cider Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I've been hunting for real cider apples for years, and although PA is a large apple producer, I just can't find any.
So I saw this small producer on F/B, and if I was in the PNW, I'd be going there for sure:
https://www.pleasantvalleyciderapples.com/the-apples.html
Note: I don't know the producers and have no financial interest, I'm just posting for information and also to help out a small family farm.

We have some smaller orchards up-state NY that make apple juice for cider makers. My local HBS takes orders every year from those of us who know the difference between apples juiced for drinking apple juice and those juiced for cider making.

I live in Oregon and so far it’s been pretty easy to source cider varieties.

I’ve been able to get good varieties for relatively cheap.

I’ve met some really nice people in my hunt for cider apples. Be cool and maybe share some bottles of the previous years cider. I’ve had tons of good conversations with some orchardists.
I’ve been picking apples for several years from an older lady whose former husband planted heirloom varieties years ago. Super nice lady. When I want to pick, I’ll send a text and she lets me pick. I even weigh them out myself and leave money for her. These relationships are invaluable since it’s a finite resource.

Sighhhhh!!!!

Our nearest proper apple growing area is Batlow on the western side of the mountains. I was there a couple of years ago and some of the cider people had planted heirloom cider trees that were nearing productive fruiting. Then damn, last year's bushfires devastated the town and surrounding orchards.

My only "proper" apple tree is Cox's Orange Pippin which produced its first crop of 50 apples this year... I envy your resources.

Nice guy in the village planted some heirloom variety apple trees some years ago. No specific cider apples but last years cider turned out really nice. I can take however much I like. I help him prune his trees and give him juice and apple pie in return.

This thread amazes me and makes me happy. I planted cider apple trees on my place starting in 1998 and back then, it wasn't easy finding the cider cultivars to plant. Finding an orchard where you could harvest cider fruit was all but unthinkable for us on the west coast. It's great to hear how much things have changed.

Here in Oregon it’s hard to drive down any street and not see a Gravenstein tree. I think they make excellent cider. Even better if blended w a bitter variety (or add grape tannin).
They were a very popular variety to plant back in the day.
If you can’t find a free source, you’ll be able to find them for .50/lb.
Same for winesaps.
IME- those base varieties turn from good cider to excellent at about month 10-12.

Scott Farms in Brattleboro, VT is an amazing grower. They have at least 20 heirloom varieties through the Fall. I am going to get some cider from them this year to ferment. I have used cider from another great orchard in the area, Green Mountain Orchards. Their cider is made of more eating type apples. I enjoyed the hard cider I made from GMO's cider but it lacked complexity.

Here in Oregon it’s hard to drive down any street and not see a Gravenstein tree. I think they make excellent cider. Even better if blended w a bitter variety (or add grape tannin).
Same for winesaps.
IME- those base varieties turn from good cider to excellent at about month 10-12.

A lot of people agree with you, but I have never had a really good cider made from Gravenstein. For me it is way too acidic once you ferment all the sugar out. If you backsweeten it gets better, but as you say, lacks the tannins that make a cider great. The market disagrees with me and Ace sold a lot of Gravenstein cider.

I think all dry ciders begin to hit their stride at 9 to 12 months, so we agree there. Something interesting happens with the acidity, the fruity aromatics return, and the mouthfeel improves.

If you’re in Western PA you should check out Happy Dog Farm. They only grow cider apples and even have a small press. I take my apples there to get pressed and can say it’s a really cool place.

A lot of people agree with you, but I have never had a really good cider made from Gravenstein. For me it is way too acidic once you ferment all the sugar out. If you backsweeten it gets better, but as you say, lacks the tannins that make a cider great. The market disagrees with me and Ace sold a lot of Gravenstein cider.

I think all dry ciders begin to hit their stride at 9 to 12 months, so we agree there. Something interesting happens with the acidity, the fruity aromatics return, and the mouthfeel improves.

I really like to use them as a base apple when blending. I usually have access to quite a variety of apples so often I’ll go about 50% Gravensteins and start blending from there.
One of my all time favorite ciders was 80/20 blend of Gravensteins and Porters Perfections. Super crisp and the Porters really helped w the aromatics of both.

The real sleeper apple though is Winesaps. The first year I fermented them, I did 100% w Bubbles yeast. I intended to blend post fermentation but after 12 months the flavor really “popped”. I ended up blending just a small amt of Chisel Jersey.

I think a lot of people who rent presses often overlook the importance of sweating their apples. Or it could be a timing issue as well. Most of the brew shops around here have their presses booked solid during the fall.

Pressing any variety before flavors and sugar develop will result in bland cider. I have plenty of experience doing this myself.

Same for winesaps.

I'm finding a lot of growers in Washington to be willing to sell their apples for about $.50/lb as well. One grower learned I was thinking I was a commercial maker, but when they realized I was just a home cider maker he offered them at $.15/lb if I was available to help with their harvest. I am, and I would love the chance to learn and help, but our cider press is just finished being built and now it's at the State Fair with a second place ribbon on it for the next month. I don't want to get a bunch of apples until the press is available. I just may reach out and just offer to help...apples or not.

Scott Farms in Brattleboro, VT is an amazing grower. They have at least 20 heirloom varieties through the Fall. I am going to get some cider from them this year to ferment. I have used cider from another great orchard in the area, Green Mountain Orchards. Their cider is made of more eating type apples. I enjoyed the hard cider I made from GMO's cider but it lacked complexity.

I obtained some cider from a grower outside Lebanon, NH...south of town along the Connecticut River called Riverview Farm. Great folks. The blend I got from them was McIntosh and Zestar. It made some great cider. There is a great choice of cider apples in that area...and this time of year is a great time to get up there.

Back to the PNW...does any one know where to get some juice from cider apples? I am finding lots of apples, but this time around I need juice. I'm ready to start a batch, but my press is unavailable right now. I've looked on CiderAuction and am tempted but I don't need 55 gallons right now! :D I am in Eastern Washington....have truck will travel. Thanks!

8-10 gallons. So far I have only made cider from grocery store apple juice, so I am looking for some good cider apples, or a blend of several cider apples. I am open to your suggestions.

Are you familiar with the four quadrants of cider apples? Sweet, Sharp, Bittersweet, Bittersharp? Don't overthink it, but its good information to have a rudimentary understanding of. Here's a great article on some varieties to get you started.

Some of the cider apples I would love to get my hands on are:

Harrison
Kingston Black
Arkansas Black
Newtown Pippin
Golden Russet
Winesap
Rome Beauty
Zestar
Northern Spy
Spitzenberg

and also

Wickson Crab
Hewes Crab
Crimson Crab
Dolgo Crab

There are literally hundreds if not thousands more. Do a little reading on the genetics of the Malus sp. genus and you'll figure out why the apple family is so diverse. There is literally more genetic diversity among apples than there in among humans. It's mind boggling.

@FLYPacNW I have done a little reading on the different categories of cider apples, but I have a lot to learn. Right now I do not have a press, so I am looking for a way to get some juice from cider apples. Kingston Black has been mentioned numerous times, so that is a variety that I would like to try.

Yeah me too! I'm just getting my head around it all too. I agree Kingston Black would be a great one to try, finding juice though is even harder than finding apples. Keep your eyes on CiderAuction.com. Harvest is coming up, so I'm sure there will be some for sale soon!

Back