Chugger Pump SS: Remove thin film of oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
I just got a green Chugger pump SS and installed the plug for a brew session next week. One thing I noticed when I disassembled the pump head is that there's a thin film of oil from (presumably) the manufacturing process.

I'm soaking it in a hot water and OXY Clean now -- and have been for the past few hours -- but I'm wondering: what's the usual process from removing the oil from something like this in order to prep it for use? Is a long soak in oxy clean enough? Should I be using something else in addition to the OXY?

I gave mine a scrubbing with mild detergant before I soaked the parts in oxyclean overnight, rinsed well and then reassembled and used the pump as normal. been great so far!

I opened up the head and cleaned it with dish soap and a sponge. I also pumped oxiclean through it while cleaning the kettle. I think just cleaning it with some dish soap or oxiclean is fine. It really wasn't that hard to get off.

I just got a green Chugger pump SS and installed the plug for a brew session next week. One thing I noticed when I disassembled the pump head is that there's a thin film of oil from (presumably) the manufacturing process.

I'm soaking it in a hot water and OXY Clean now -- and have been for the past few hours -- but I'm wondering: what's the usual process from removing the oil from something like this in order to prep it for use? Is a long soak in oxy clean enough? Should I be using something else in addition to the OXY?

Where did you get a new Chugger pump? I have been waiting on them to start selling them again for awhile now.

I got the pump several months ago -- mid-December, I think -- from ebay. But I'm just now getting around to setting everything up on my patio again for brewing.

Winters in Chicago aren't that great for outside brewing! :)

Back