Chocolate Wheat help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmey

Reaction score
I am making a chocolate wheat beer that I have never made before. I currently have an 85% cocoa chocolate bar that I am hoping to use instead of nibs. I am curious if this is acceptable. I have read of people using cocoa powder so I figured it would work. I have two concerns: quantity and timing.

Assuming it is acceptable, what quantities would be recommended to use in place of 4 Oz of cocoa nibs? The recipe calls for two to four oz of nibs and my bar is 3.5 oz.

As far as timing goes, I am unsure of when to add this cocoa. It is defined in the recipe as an adjunct. Which I would normally add near the tail end of a wort. However, with cooking chocolate I'm a little concerned about it getting bitter if cooked. Also, I assumed I could get more flavor in the secondary.

Thanks for any advice. I am just leary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Your chocolate bar has to have something to hold the bar together. That something is usually some type of oil or fat. Those oils or fats make a good tasting chocolate bar but they will kill the head on your beer. Use the cocoa nibs or the cocoa powder.

If the recipe is calling for cocoa nibs I soak mine in vodka until active fermentation is over. When I am ready to bottle/keg I will strain out the nibs and add the chocolate infused vodka. If I was to use a chocolate bar which I think I would just get the nibs. I would suppose I would melt it with some boiling wort and add it back dissolved at the end if the boil.

Thanks guys. I'm going to get some cocoa powder. Just curious though, the cocoa nibs probably have a lot more fat than this chocolate bar. So I don't understand completely but I will listen :)

Cocoa nibs do not have fat they are just the roasted beans from what I have read

These two websites both say that there is about 12-13 grams of fat per oz. of cocoa nibs. That's only slightly less than my high cocoa chocolate bar. But I think I'll trust what experience has shown from other people and just go with some nibs or powder. Thanks guys.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-cocoa-nibs.html

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/933596/2

Fat from the Nibs and fat from the bar are different. You aren't eating the nibs, only using them for the aroma/flavor. Putting a chocolate bar in your wort is different than just using nibs. I have read some recipes do call for baker's chocolate ("I eat danger for breakfast" is one that come to mind...24oz's). Personally I would use cocoa nibs vs the baker's chocolate because of the mess factor in the fermenter.

I have one of midwest's kits (Chocolate Covered BEAVR Nutz) in the secondary now and I added cocoa powder and the nibs that came with it. Hopefully I will bottle this weekend and it should be ready to drink by St Patrick's Day weekend.

Gotcha. Also read now that regular bars can make it taste waxy. Thanks. Good luck with your brew. I'm starting mine as soon as the one grain I'm missing comes in.

Back