Chocolate in Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbpiv

Reaction score
I brewed a breakfast stout this weekend we are going to age in a bourbon barrel out of Pittsburgh. And we used a local coffee house for the coffee addition. While we were at, we put bakers chocolate in it but thought let's make it a bit more "Pennsylvania" (Pittsburgh barrel, local coffee in central Pa) and put in a a few Hershey kisses (just regular, not bakers...) spur of the moment. Well when I was cooling the beer, I popped the top on the brew pot, and noticed some oil like stuff on the top. Not thinking anything of it I just went with it... Now thinking about it, on second thought those Hershey kisses were probably a bad idea. It was only three but I'm wondering if that's enough to hurt this beer. Any thoughts?

The oils in the chocolate are probably going to kill your head retention. I did a similar thing one time on a chocolate porter. It actually tasted great, but the oils in it, just killed the head almost immediately. It's the only time I used chocolate and cocoa in a beer and it needed a while to age out of some harshness that seemed to be there from the chocolate. Took almost 4 months, but came out really good.

I have read that Dutch process cocoa is a lot better to use for that cocoa flavor as the chemistry of it is better suited for beer.

I brewed with Baker's chocolate and when the lipids formed on top of the wort, I skimmed them off (painstakingly) with a plastic strainer. The head on the resulting stout was excellent. But lesson learned for sure.

Back