Chocolate Coffee Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a chocolate stout next. Only going to do a 2.5 gal batch since this is the first time using coffee or chocolate.

I can post the whole recipe if needed, but I am shooting for an OG of 1.082, and 52 IBU.

After looking at countless threads on adding coffee/choc I have decided on the following (remember this is a 2.5 gal batch):

2 oz cocoa power whipped in a little water to prevent clumping then added at 10 min

1 oz sumatran coffee ground at flame-out or shortly after

1.5 oz cocoa nibs during secondary

1 oz sumatran coffee cold pressed in 1/2 qt during bottling (also priming sugar)

My question is, does this look relatively correct in terms of procedure and amount? Do I need to add any sort of lactose to balance out cocoa bitterness? Any further advise? Thanks

My advice: take careful notes! Only you will be able to judge the results based on what you like. Your next try will be even better.

I haven't tried coffee, but if you are adding at bottling time, you can taste it and decide whether to add more (so, start small).

I use 4 oz. cacao nibs in my porter, and the chocolate flavor is barely discernible. A subtle, "something is there" richness which seems perfect to me (I'm not aiming for a chocolate beer). It's a low-IBU recipe, so YMMV.

Cheers!

My advice: take careful notes! Only you will be able to judge the results based on what you like. Your next try will be even better.

I haven't tried coffee, but if you are adding at bottling time, you can taste it and decide whether to add more (so, start small).

I use 4 oz. cacao nibs in my porter, and the chocolate flavor is barely discernible. A subtle, "something is there" richness which seems perfect to me (I'm not aiming for a chocolate beer). It's a low-IBU recipe, so YMMV.

Cheers!

Definitely the reason why I am doing a 2.5 gallon batch. I am assuming the 4 oz cacao nibs was in a 5 gallon batch? I have read that less cocoa is needed when doing higher gravity beers. So I might bump it up to 2 or 2.5 oz based off that, to get a tad bit more chocolate flavor. Any experience with cocoa power in boil?

Thanks for your input. :mug:

Forget adding to the boil. Just cold brew and add slowly to the bottling bucket. Mix carefully so no O2 is added and taste. Take notes so you know how much next time. I've beeen doing it this way for the past 2 years and never had a problem.

Back