Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Choco-vanilla Winter Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
19L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
17 days @ 64; Cold crashed 3 days before bottling
Tasting Notes
Sweet but balanced, bitter dark chocolate and nutty graham cracker.
Been lurking on this site for years, and decided to start contributing... Figured I'd start with this one, as I'm enjoying one now and it's the closest I have to an original recipe. This was an attempt to make something akin to Granville Island Lions Winter Ale. Basically, a complex malty Chocolate Nut Brown Ale, with the addition of vanilla and lactose for a touch of residual sweetness. Definitely not a clone of GI, but very tasty nonetheless. I use partial mash, partial boil, as I only have a 16L (4Gal) kettle, and always add extract late.

This one turned out really nice, even when young, and is maturing nicely as well. Pours a lovely dark ruby/mahogany with dense tan lingering head. Sweet but without being cloying, and full of dark chocolate on nose and tongue. A hint of bourbon/booze in the aroma. A cold weather dessert beer, for sure, but balanced enough to be enjoyable anytime, within reason.

Grain:
3lbs 2-row
2lbs Maris Otter
1lb CaraBrown
8oz Crystal 80
6oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200L)
4oz Honey Malt

Extract/Sugars:
3lbs Munich LME
8oz Lactose

Hops:
0.5oz Nugget (13.3%) @ 60min
0.5oz Willamette (5.2%) @ 15 min
0.5oz Spalt Select (6.3%) @ 5 min

Flavorings:
3 x Tahitian vanilla beans
4oz Organic Raw Cocoa Nibs (oven-roasted)

Mash grains for 60 mins, BIAB-style @ 150F in 8L (2.1 gallons) water; dunk-sparge in another 9L (2.3 gallons) water @ 170F. Drain bag and squeeze to maximize yield.
Boil 60 mins. Add extract and lactose for last 5 mins of boil only. Chill and transfer to fermenter with enough cold top-up water to make 21L (5.5G). Pitch yeast when wort reaches 66F.

On brew day, split, scrape and cut vanilla beans into 1 inch pieces, and soak in 3 oz bourbon. 3 days later, roast cocoa nibs in 275F oven for 15 minutes and add to vanilla/bourbon when cool. Top this mixture off with approx. 3 oz vodka/bourbon. Allow to soak in booze for an additional 3-4 days, before adding entire mixture (including solids) to primary fermenter. Leave another 7-10 days, cold crash, and package.

Wow this sounds amazing! What was your OG and FG? Also what yeast did you use?

Back