Chlorophenols from RO water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I've heard chloramines can pass through an RO filter. Has anybody else heard this or had an experience with this?

My latest brew was all RO water and still has that distinctive plastic-like taste

I'm not sure that chloramines are small enough to pass through the pores of a RO membrane. So, I doubt that this would be a cause. However, if there is no carbon unit upstream of the membrane, then its possible that extended contact with the chlorine compounds destroyed the membrane and let a whole host of stuff through into the 'treated' water.

With a properly maintained carbon filter upstream of the membrane, there shouldn't be any way that chloramines make it past the process into your beer. Hopefully you aren't using any bleach anywhere in your system for cleaning or sanitation.

It depends on the filter. I don't have a chloramines stage on my RO filter since my local water municipality doesn't use chloramines. Best to check first with your local water supply, then with the manufacturer of your RO filter.

I get my RO water from the machines in front of a water store down the street. I'll try campden next brew and see if that helps

If the plastic flavor is indeed from chloramines, Campden should help.

Our water down here in Tan Diego has 'em, and I definitely noticed a positive difference after using 1/2 a tablet in 10 gallons of water.

I just mashed it up and tossed it in as the water was heating.

I'm in SD too. I was trying to use carbon filtered tap water but our water softener pumps in too much salt and the beers were coming out harsh. If Campden doesn't help then I'll go from there.

Plastic-y flavors can also come from wild yeast infections, so I might pitch and replace any plastic/vinyl on the cold side. Also what sort of water are you using to clean out your gear? (say filling a fermenter with untreated water to clean it?)

I'll respectfully disagree with Martin - Chloramines will go through an RO membrane.

But with a properly configured RO system you shouldn't have chloramines reaching the membrane.

Russ

This is always one of the issues with buying purified water from a vending machine - you really have no idea how well the system is configured, or maintained...

At a minimum test the first bit you buy with your TDS meter.

Russ

It always seems homebrewers want to blame an external source for phenols, usually the water. It is much more likely that an infection and/or high temperature during fermentation is the cause.

Plastic-y flavors can also come from wild yeast infections, so I might pitch and replace any plastic/vinyl on the cold side. Also what sort of water are you using to clean out your gear? (say filling a fermenter with untreated water to clean it?)

I think it's time to do this. I will say it seems like the samples I'm pulling from the fermenter taste cleaner than what I'm getting out of the keg

Do you bottle? Use a bottling bucket? Use one with a valve at the bottom?

That valve can get quite nasty in places that are impossible to spot without taking it completely apart.

Back