Chinese food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I feel like if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. So here are some recipes I like :

CUMIN SPARE RIBS - In Taiwan, I found a Hunan restaurant that had these as an appetizer. Their version was different--they cut the ribs into riblets rather than doing them whole. I've made this recipe and you have to ask your butcher to run the slab of ribs long-way through the band saw into either 3 or 4 strips if you want them to be more bite-size than individual long ribs. The spice, the earthiness of the cumin, the tenderness of the ribs with the crisp outer skin due to frying... These are just amazing.

Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup: In an Instant Pot Or on the Stove - I had this soup while traveling also in Taiwan for business. It was a rainy slightly chilly day, and my coworkers took me to a little hole in the wall joint. I was floored. One of my Taiwanese colleagues says this recipe is spot on, and I love it...

Sichuan Napa Cabbage Stir-fry (Suan La Bai Cai) - This is a great side dish for other Chinese offerings...

Dan Dan Noodles: Authentic Sichuan Recipe - The Woks of Life - A highly traditional Sichuan noodle dish. Be careful if you don't like spice... I did make this once and I sat there just gobbling it up like the demented glutton I am, and my wife was like "I can't eat this". But if you like Sichuan peppercorn and chili oil... Holy hell this is good stuff.

Salt and Pepper Shrimp - Here's going to be one that divides the crowd... Eating shrimp whole, including the shell, head, etc. Some of you have come across this ordering ama ebi (sweet shrimp) at sushi joints, where the chef will deep fry the head for you. But westerners generally have trouble eating shrimp with the shell on. It's a shame--it's crunchy and delicious when done right. This recipe is doing it right.

Garlic Beef and Veggie Ramen - I have no clue whether this is authentic to, well, ANY actual cuisine. I mean, just look at the profile pic of the blog author and that her name is "Chelsea", and let's just say this might not be a 100-year-old family recipe brought over the Pacific. But it's delicious. Note---it's a noodle dish, not a soup. Most people think "soup" when they think ramen.

Sometimes I feel like if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. So here are some recipes I like :

CUMIN SPARE RIBS - In Taiwan, I found a Hunan restaurant that had these as an appetizer. Their version was different--they cut the ribs into riblets rather than doing them whole. I've made this recipe and you have to ask your butcher to run the slab of ribs long-way through the band saw into either 3 or 4 strips if you want them to be more bite-size than individual long ribs. The spice, the earthiness of the cumin, the tenderness of the ribs with the crisp outer skin due to frying... These are just amazing.

Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup: In an Instant Pot Or on the Stove - I had this soup while traveling also in Taiwan for business. It was a rainy slightly chilly day, and my coworkers took me to a little hole in the wall joint. I was floored. One of my Taiwanese colleagues says this recipe is spot on, and I love it...

Sichuan Napa Cabbage Stir-fry (Suan La Bai Cai) - This is a great side dish for other Chinese offerings...

Dan Dan Noodles: Authentic Sichuan Recipe - The Woks of Life - A highly traditional Sichuan noodle dish. Be careful if you don't like spice... I did make this once and I sat there just gobbling it up like the demented glutton I am, and my wife was like "I can't eat this". But if you like Sichuan peppercorn and chili oil... Holy hell this is good stuff.

Salt and Pepper Shrimp - Here's going to be one that divides the crowd... Eating shrimp whole, including the shell, head, etc. Some of you have come across this ordering ama ebi (sweet shrimp) at sushi joints, where the chef will deep fry the head for you. But westerners generally have trouble eating shrimp with the shell on. It's a shame--it's crunchy and delicious when done right. This recipe is doing it right.

Garlic Beef and Veggie Ramen - I have no clue whether this is authentic to, well, ANY actual cuisine. I mean, just look at the profile pic of the blog author and that her name is "Chelsea", and let's just say this might not be a 100-year-old family recipe brought over the Pacific. But it's delicious. Note---it's a noodle dish, not a soup. Most people think "soup" when they think ramen.
Mega appreciated 🤙🏻 im italian so dont mind eating sea critters whole 😆

Love whole salt and pepper shrimp, though sometimes the legs find their way into my gums. How does the Taiwanese soup compare to pho?

The best pizza comes from my backyard BBQ. It’s the best pizza in Dongguan.

Attachments

• A2B921E3-3B44-4E06-B1D4-D9733DBFCB63.jpeg
    A2B921E3-3B44-4E06-B1D4-D9733DBFCB63.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5C4B2054-B1E8-4FEB-BC3E-06CEDC135D30.jpeg
    5C4B2054-B1E8-4FEB-BC3E-06CEDC135D30.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
Back to the topic of Chinese food……
Here’s a classic dish made with bull penis and rooster nuts. Mmmmm lol.

Attachments

• 3E2EC1A2-9BD6-413C-85F1-7786E378678D.jpeg
    3E2EC1A2-9BD6-413C-85F1-7786E378678D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back