Chiller Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpBrewing

Reaction score
Did another brew tonight and got to the part to use our immersion chiller. We got it down to about 76 degrees and just waiting to get it to 70 and below. Suddenly a hose pops off and some tap water got into the wort... can this cause problems? Any ways to solve the problems if any? Thank you in advance.

Obviously this is not ideal. Your wort will be diluted somewhat, and the tap water is not sterile and probably contains chlorine.

Don't panic though. Odds are quite good that it will turn out OK. If you've pitched plenty of healthy yeast, they will quickly crowd out whatever bacteria may have been present in your tap water. Hopefully not enough water got in to dilute the wort too much. If this was a partial boil, you may have needed top-up water anyhow.

My advice: relax, don't worry about it. Secure the hose better for next time.

Okay, that sounds good. It's a 6 gallon brew. We pitched two Wyeast. I don't believe that much water got into the wort. So I hope those 200 billion yeast can come through for me. Thank you for your help.

Back