Chill Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
I have been doing all grain brewing for over 2 years now. I have always had a chill haze problem. I tried everything I have read to solve it. Whirlfloc tablets, quick wort chilling, RO water, gelatin finings and maybe a few other things but nothing has helped. Based on a suggestion from a local homebrew shop I switched water chemistry calculators and bought some lactic acid. I switched to Bru'n Water and it has always required lactic acid to get the PH in a suitable range. The previous calculator I used did not have a PH estimate. I am trying my 4th batch now and they have all been much clearer than before. Tonight's batch is a crystal clear lager. BTW, my refrigerator is set to 40 degrees which is probably a little colder than typical for serving beer and may contribute to chill haze. I hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Last edited:
You have hit on one of the main reasons for chill haze. Good work. Yes, serving at that temp may give initial haze, but it should clear when warming.

Back