Chili. Beans or no beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beans or no Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

Results are only viewable after voting.
With Beans.

The heatherns in these parts put spaghetti in it :eek:

good lord... Only a philistine would put noodles in chili. I can enjoy a bowl with beans and/or tomato but I might have to punch someones grandma if they put spaghetti in there....

Chili dog sauce is not Chili! Chili dog sauce should be thin enough for a skilled dogger to shoot it across the dog in one flick of the wrist from the end of the dog and magically stopping it at the other end. The sauce should come from a pan that has at least 1/3" of old chili sauce crusted in and around the rim of the pot which is never washed. Fat slick should form at surface within 3 minutes if undisturbed. One of the mother sauces. Yum!

I can enjoy a bowl with beans and/or tomato but I might have to punch someones grandma if they put spaghetti in there....

A nice hotdog chain in Toledo serves it over spaetzle. Liked it so much I went home, made spaetzle, covered it with chili, topped it with shredded cheddar and scored megapoints with SWMBO. :D (will post recipe if anyone's interested)

Oops, almost forgot...WITH BEANS. :D

There is really no debate here. Authentic chili has no beans in it, period. The Wiki definition is pretty dead-on. Serve beans on the side with the cheese, sour cream, crackers, extra jalapenos and any other what-have-you's. But don't cook them in the chili.

It's like this: is an authentic Bock brewed with rye malt? No. Will adding rye malt to a Bock recipe make a good beer? Sure, probably. But it won't be an authentic Bock.

It's like this: is an authentic Bock brewed with rye malt? No. Will adding rye malt to a Bock recipe make a good beer? Sure, probably. But it won't be an authentic Bock.

If several generations ago everyone in Germany began brewing Bock with rye malt to the point where over 90% of the bocks made in Germany contain rye, the newer, evolved Bock would be just as authentic, possibly even more so, than the older, obsolete version.

If several generations ago everyone in Germany began brewing Bock with rye malt to the point where over 90% of the bocks made in Germany contain rye, the newer, evolved Bock would be just as authentic, possibly even more so, than the older, obsolete version.

Not at all...it merely means that those beers brewed with rye are not bocks. They no longer match the description or flavor profile of the style. They might be delicious and popular, but they ain't bocks!

It's not a question of what you prefer. If you like meat & bean stew flavored with hot peppers, that's fine. Hey, I like it too. Doesn't make it chili.

I dont think that is necessarily true. Many beers that go as IPA's are far from what a traditional English IPA is. They are still IPA's. Things change, things evolve. I would venture to guess that there are very few beers that are brewed exactly the same way they were when they were first crafted.

True chili should not be cooked with beans, though I would not oppose having beans on the side. All you that think chili must have beans probably put gravy on your french fries too....

wierdos.... :D

True chili should not be cooked with beans, though I would not oppose having beans on the side. All you that think chili must have beans probably put gravy on your french fries too....

wierdos.... :D

And cheese curd, thank you very much.

poutine4.jpg

I dont think that is necessarily true. Many beers that go as IPA's are far from what a traditional English IPA is. They are still IPA's. Things change, things evolve. I would venture to guess that there are very few beers that are brewed exactly the same way they were when they were first crafted.
But, they aren't true English IPAs. Just as traditional Bocks haven't changed much over the centuries. It's the "if it ain't broke" rule. And so it is with real chili.

No. Beans.

And the one with cheese curds looks like somebody vomited earthworms and gall bladder sauce.

cubbies said:
Many beers that go as IPA's are far from what a traditional English IPA is. They are still IPA's.
Rhoobarb said:
But, they aren't true English IPAs.

Right, they're American IPAs, which are better. Ergo, chili evolved with beans is better. :p

But that's all you two made was that little bitty pot?? That's like two big cans of Homel..Hardly worth the effort. :D

That's a 15 gallon pot, my friend and I are both "little people."

Actually, that pot was for "taster chili," samples of which we'd give out to the looky-loos that come by. At cookoffs, they often sell wristbands at the gate, that entitle visitors to sample. We'd usually make it with the same spices, but use ground beef instead of the good cuts of beef.

I wanna see pictures of chili in somebody's keggle.

I have to agree, no beans. I've eaten and made it with both, and will again depending, but no beans if you want to be official. Meat wise, I usually do stew beef cubed, pork country ribs cubed, then a ground meatloaf mix of ground beef, veal, and pork.

Back