Chicagoland new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktraver97ss

Reaction score
Hey there!

Been creeping on here since I started brewing a couple years ago, but mainly to get info, compare styles, and find clone recipes. I figured I would join the community now that I have learned a few things and am not a complete newb. I also am back to working in an office, giving me more time to cruise the forums. haha

My friend Tommy and I started a couple years ago and went straight to all-grain. We always go big, just how we are! First few batches we just took recipes out of mags or stuff I found online. Most our beers turned out decent, nothing un-drinkable. After about 6 months we wanted more and got a 20g kettle and started doing 10g batches and modifying some clone recipes to try to get something we liked better out of the beer. We really got going about a year ago, took on another partner, Ken, and went up to 20g batches. Now we make all our own recipes and rock out 25-30g batches depending on the grain bill. The only thing holding us back from going bigger is our 32g mash tun, stuffing 88lb of grain in that thing for our last 25g RIS was a little much. lol That and transferring, bottling, and cleaning all those freakin carboys! We are saving up to make a 100g fermentor and to move the operation to my detail shop/carwash.

If you guys are interested to see our garage system look us up on facebook as "Redlight Brew Crew".

As you can see this is a bit more than a hobby for us and we are starting to penetrate into the commercial market a bit. Ken works at The Lucky Monk, a local microbrewery and the brewmaster there loved our all Citra hopped Black IPA and invited us to brew it there on their 4bbl(i think?) system as a collaboration brew. Its this coming thurs and we are freaking stoked!

Im sure I forgot a bunch, but I look forward to hangin out here more often.
:mug:

Awesome man, welcome to the forum!

Those are some mighty big batches, sounds like fun. And how sweet to brew on a commercial system! Wow! Please post how that goes.

Edit: Where do you get your grain?

Back