• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Chicago - Used Goose Island Barrel's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
First...Im in no way associated with this just passing the info...

Goose Island Beer Company will be selling recently emptied bourbon and rye
barrels that were previously used for aging BCS and Bramble Rye BCS. The
barrel sale is this Saturday at the barrel warehouse from 10am-2pm, and
barrels are only $30 each. See below for details.

Happy homebrewing!

*Welcome to the Barrel House Sale!!
Goose Island Beer Company’s Fulton brewing team is excited to make our
spent oak bourbon barrels available to the public.
The remaining barrels, and anything that comes available in the next week,
will be on sale at 10am on Dec. 3rd.

Please read the specifics below very carefully.

* * What:* Used Bourbon County Stout Barrels (Heaven Hill Bourbon)
**Barrels will not be rinsed
Used Bramble Rye Barrels (Heaven Hill Rye)
**Barrels will not be rinsed and may contain fruit
pulp
*$30 each – cash/check – and carry (no shipping!)
* Where:* Goose Island Fulton Brewery
Barrel House (across from the brewery)
1800 West Fulton Street
Chicago – 60612

* When:* December 3rd, 2011
10am – 2pm
**First come first serve

*Who: *Please reach out to
*[email protected]<outbind://666-00000000FD785841A9C22A43848EB8A043EA0A4A0700BAF0DC1C7E5DEA44B9129FA6A9292B170000038F0FD80000BAF0DC1C7E5DEA44B9129FA6A9292B17000004C380350000/[email protected]>
* with all questions

** Customer agrees to indemnify and hold free and harmless Fulton Street
Brewery. from and against all manner of loss, damage and liability
(including court costs and attorney's fees) arising from any claim made
against Fulton Street Brewery or loss incurred by Fulton Street Brewery as
a result of or in any way arising from, relating to, or connected with
usage of spent barrel(s). Barrels are purchased as is with no guaranteed
potential for future use. Barrels may not be returned or exchanged

Deals like this are worth jumping on.

If I was in the area I'd grab some friends and have a barrel collaboration.

Anyone in chicago who may be interested willing to organize some things for HBTers in the near area?

I would offer if I didn't work both Friday and Saturday 8p-5a. Need the sleep and I'm 2 hrs away.

Wonder if they where new barrels to GI or if they got them from aged whiskey barrel house somewhere?

Anyone in chicago who may be interested willing to organize some things for HBTers in the near area?

I would offer if I didn't work both Friday and Saturday 8p-5a. Need the sleep and I'm 2 hrs away.

organize what? We do group buys and meets...what else are you thinking?

how did you get this info?
Its a secret... ;)

Im part of the listserv here -> Chicago Beer Society

Specifically -> Chicago Beer Society » About the Chicago Beer Society

I'm in Chicago, but I have to throw my work children's holiday party from 12 - 2. Is there anyone who wants to go do the buying? I'd LOVE one of those.

Arcadia Ales was selling their bourbon barrels used for making their bourbon barrel porter this summer. I talked to the brewmaster about using one to age some homebrew. He said all the bourbon flavor would have been absorbed from his use of them. I would ask if the same is true of the GI barrels.

Are they full size barrels or just 5/10gal? If so I would buy a few of them if a group buy works out

Arcadia Ales was selling their bourbon barrels used for making their bourbon barrel porter this summer. I talked to the brewmaster about using one to age some homebrew. He said all the bourbon flavor would have been absorbed from his use of them. I would ask if the same is true of the GI barrels.

Good point, the announcement does say that there is no guaranteed use from the barrels due to them already having been used for aging of GI ales

I know a lot of people that get multiple uses out of their barrels. Maybe not necessarily from the whisky/bourbon/wine flavors, but from the wood itself for a long time.

Also, if anyone out of state would be interested in this but can't get to the city this weekend, I would be willing to go try to pick one up for you and hold it for a short while. Just let me know.

Are they full size barrels or just 5/10gal? If so I would buy a few of them if a group buy works out

Being as these are coming from their barrel house I'm assuming they are full 55 gallon barrels...

I mean who doesn't have a barrel house, I know I could use a GI barrel to add on to my collection of 100-1000+ barrels.... right?

Cool. Jealous. Big crowd/long line for it? Trying to not regret my decision for not going...

The line was decent. I showed up a little late but had friends in line (2 people, they only wanted one and got the other for me). I brought a truck as part of the deal. It was cold and rainy but the free BCS and doughnuts made up for it. At one point they thought they ran out of BCS barrels and only had Bramble barrels left but they came back out 10 minutes later saying they had 30 more BCS barrels. They were also giving away the barrel racks.

We just picked up one of these today from the brewery. Hopefully I can have it filled by the end of the month! Man I am going to have to build another room just for barrels soon. :cross:

Are they still giving them away? Did you just stop by and ask for one?

We just picked up one of these today from the brewery. Hopefully I can have it filled by the end of the month! Man I am going to have to build another room just for barrels soon. :cross:

Do they have smaler sizes available? im looking for 10-15gal

All I saw are 50 gal barrels there. They are a commercial brewery so I doubt they have any smaller barrels.

Are they still giving them away? Did you just stop by and ask for one?

My buddy knows one of the brewers who was sampling some of my barrel beers and told us that they still had some barrels from BCS so we got one for $30. I assume you could just call and ask. If that doesn&#8217;t work just let me know and I will see if I can get in contact with the guy.And yea the barrels are big 53-54 gallons.

Latest posts

Back